Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Hey guys, I just made the switch from my Sony A700 to a Nikon D300, and I was wondering for those of you who use the vertical grip (and if you use 8xAA or the EL4) how long each of them last at 8fps. It doesn't seem like even 8 AA batteries could last very long at 8fps, and I don't really feel like spending the money on a new battery and charger.

Thanks

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
I shoot full football games with AA Ni-MH rechargeables without worrying about the batteries. That's usually 300-600 exposures over the course of 3 hours.

If you don't want to buy the expensive EN-EL4, then buy rechargeable AAs--they'll pay for themselves in weeks.

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
I shoot full football games with AA Ni-MH rechargeables without worrying about the batteries. That's usually 300-600 exposures over the course of 3 hours.

If you don't want to buy the expensive EN-EL4, then buy rechargeable AAs--they'll pay for themselves in weeks.

thanks, that's exactly what I was planning on doing. 300-600 is quite the range, but hopefully good batteries will last towards the latter end. I wish there was a setting to use the in-camera battery for single-shot and low-speed modes and the AAs for high-speed... unless I'm missing something?

I already have a bunch of rechargeable AAs for my SB-900 plus a 15-minute charger, so I'll just pick up another 2 packs for around $40 total.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
I wish there was a setting to use the in-camera battery for single-shot and low-speed modes and the AAs for high-speed... unless I'm missing something?

When I have ready access to my AA charger I shoot on AA priority (*d11) and the batteries don't go to the halfpoint at the end of the game; I've shot nearly 1000 exposures on AA priority before they started to give out (and then it was just a matter of switching to the camera battery).

You're not missing anything; either you prioritize to use the MB-D10 batteries first or the camera battery first. I assume that if you go to 8FPS you automatically draw something from the MB-D10.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
I use 8xSony 2700 batteries in my grip. I shoot 8fps all of the time (as I like action and natural history) and mine does exceptionally well. I wentto Italy earlier this year and took around 2500 shots - the batts were in need of a charge then but I knew if they did fail then the std issue Nikon unit in the camera body would take over (and that reduces you to 6fps max) but also good for probably at least another 1000 shots.

Batteries these days are much better. Ok so its a pain to charge 8 for the camera and the other 8 I carry for the speedlite but well worth the effort in my opinion.

I think the AA's are better for me (when trvelling) than the EL4 as if they run out unexpectedly I can always buy some Duracels or something to keep me going.

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
thanks guys, I think I'm going to go pick up the grip tonight with some Sony rechargeable batteries. I've already got 4 of theirs for my flash, and they hold a charge really well. Hopefully I can get a deal :)

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2007
You guys really feel you need the grip? I can see spending the $ if you really like the feel but I don't find the speed increase all that impressive. I remember reading a "hack" (poor term) to get 8 FPS out of the stock D300 if you really need that extra speed.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
You guys really feel you need the grip? I can see spending the $ if you really like the feel but I don't find the speed increase all that impressive. I remember reading a "hack" (poor term) to get 8 FPS out of the stock D300 if you really need that extra speed.

I bought the grip for two reasons :

1) I wanted the ability to use AA batteries and have longer times between charging.

2) I love the vertical shutter - ever since I had the F4s and EOS1 I have had to have it - it makes life soo much easier for shooting portrait.

The 8fps is great, but I was just as happy with 5 or 6 to be honest. It wasnt a factor in my purchase - I can't speak for everyone tho as I have a friend who bought one after seeing mine because he thought it made him look like a pro lol.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX

Yes. The vertical shutter is very nice, first of all.

The speed increase is impressive if you're shooting sports. One or two shots had, that otherwise would've been missed, make it worthwhile. How can you justify spending money on the "feel" but not the product?

Hack, bad term or not, sounds bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.