Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steveo13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2011
South Carolina
I have a 15" 2010 MBpro that can not even play 1080p video without stuttering/freezing. While waiting for a new release, I have been using my iPad to edit photos and make videos which has been tough since I much rather use the laptop.

I ordered the new macbook 15" with 1tb SSD and Iam second guessing weather or not I should get the 512GB instead. (Obvisouly got the pro 460.) This laptop is really adding up fast.

My question is for all the people that do alot of photo/video editing, do you use most of the built-in storage or mostly work off external storage? If you use external storage, do you find it slower when rendering photos/processing videos? (It will obviously be connected by usb-c)

I will moslty be doing 1080p but may find myself experimenting with 4K with this new power.

febernovo

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2014
Oh man you are going to enjoy this upgrade so much! Photographer here but mostly for fun I use a combination to be honest what I'm working on is on my SSD and what I want back up in a drive

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
You can go with the smaller storage tier unless you have you need to have a lot of assets onboard for some reason. My 4k files are a little less than 1 Gb per minute so I don't keep it internally. With USB-C you have an infinite amount of enclosures available from single drives all the way up to dual bus powered drives running at 800 MB/s.

Steveo13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2011
South Carolina
Oh man you are going to enjoy this upgrade so much! Photographer here but mostly for fun I use a combination to be honest what I'm working on is on my SSD and what I want back up in a drive
Yea same here, doing all this as a hobby/fun. I just want to be able to justify paying the extra premium for the storage since iam really not sure how much I will use. I guess I have to account for other things as well though such as music files and documents.

Clint_Barton

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2016
I have a 15" 2010 MBpro that can not even play 1080p video without stuttering/freezing. While waiting for a new release, I have been using my iPad to edit photos and make videos which has been tough since I much rather use the laptop.

I ordered the new macbook 15" with 1tb SSD and Iam second guessing weather or not I should get the 512GB instead. (Obvisouly got the pro 460.) This laptop is really adding up fast.

My question is for all the people that do alot of photo/video editing, do you use most of the built-in storage or mostly work off external storage? If you use external storage, do you find it slower when rendering photos/processing videos? (It will obviously be connected by usb-c)

I will moslty be doing 1080p but may find myself experimenting with 4K with this new power.
To be honest anything new will be better than what you have, and as shown in this video (
) even the little 12in MB can edit 4k video fluently/smoothly

tudyniuz

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Amsterdam
I'd go for the 512GB one tbh. I use my laptop only for FCPX (2014 rMBP 15" with 750M) and I almost never ever leave anything on the machine itself. Once I'm done with a project, it goes into backup and is completely removed from the machine.

Besides the OS, I have some music, bunch of FCPX plugins, PS, Premiere & DaVinci and that's about it. From a productivity standpoint I don't see myself needing more than the 512GB I have. Heck, I almost always have more than 150GB free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.