Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluewire

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Bay Area, California
Got a digital rebel and its been great. I know that the camera is compatible with manual focus lens (non auto focus)...it looks like you can get some great prices on used glass...is it worthwhile to think about it despite the manual focus "hinderance (heh)" or would I be better off saving my dough for a more current tech lens?

few parameters:

only considering this for a short prime (anywhere in the 30 to 50mm range) probably used solely for non action portraits and landscapes...could not imagine using this for any sort of action photography (obviously)...

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
You know, outside these forums, this is an issue that has been fought and lost and won, and is still ongoing. There are those that feel that the quality of the Leica and Zeiss glass (I'm assuming you're meaning something of the sort) is worth the trouble of having to stop-meter, manually focus, and, at times, shave a mirror (you won't have to worry about that last one with the 400D). Sure, the CZ 21, is a legend. Perhaps one of the sharpest lenses ever made, and certainly worth the $3000 price tag on ebay. Whether it's something you're willing to deal with, is up to you. I really doubt there would be much of a difference noticed from, say a 24mm Canon L Prime, which is less expensive, and will give you AF, and proper metering.
OK, now lets assume that you're actually not looking at some uber-expensive glass, and are perhaps interested in some of the older Canon stuff. In your case I would still try to go with the newer AF lenses, and my reasoning for that is the viewfinder on the 400D. If you were using a 5D, and 1DsMKII (something with a huge viewfinder), then I'd say sure- go for it, try it out. Given the small viewfinder in the Rebel, I simply would have issues focusing... then again that's just me.
Check out Fred Miranda's website. There are some forums on alternate mounts, which may interest you.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/55

bluewire

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Bay Area, California
OK, now lets assume that you're actually not looking at some uber-expensive glass, and are perhaps interested in some of the older Canon stuff. In your case I would still try to go with the newer AF lenses, and my reasoning for that is the viewfinder on the 400D. If you were using a 5D, and 1DsMKII (something with a huge viewfinder), then I'd say sure- go for it, try it out. Given the small viewfinder in the Rebel, I simply would have issues focusing... then again that's just me.
Check out Fred Miranda's website. There are some forums on alternate mounts, which may interest you.

Wow that is a great point that I hadn't even considered. :( You are absolutely right...

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
As stated, manual focusing with a small viewfinder is a real pain. The best and cheapest glass for your needs is the 50mm 1.8.

Another problem with manual lens is that they dont communicate with the camera their aperture. I have a 19mm (or is that 17?!?) Zentar fisheye that is fully manual. It is a fun lens because I always use it at f22 so I dont really have to focus, but it really screw up with the EXIF data.

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
Got a digital rebel and its been great. I know that the camera is compatible with manual focus lens (non auto focus)...it looks like you can get some great prices on used glass...is it worthwhile to think about it despite the manual focus "hinderance (heh)" or would I be better off saving my dough for a more current tech lens?

few parameters:

only considering this for a short prime (anywhere in the 30 to 50mm range) probably used solely for non action portraits and landscapes...could not imagine using this for any sort of action photography (obviously)...

Consider the sensor crop factor, a 35mm film lens at 50mm, is effectively a short telephoto lens- not the most versatle, IMO. So then are you considering a very wide angle, manual, 35mm film lens, that will give you <28mm true wide-angle capability?

But if you want an autofocus used prime lens for the Rebel, I would suggest finding the relatively inexpensive original all-metal EF 50mm 1.8, for reasons mentioned in the posts on this thread (plastic version is not durable, falls appart quite easily, apparently).

http://photo.net/equipment/canon/ef50/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.