Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Milgauss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
Hi there! I currently own a 2020 macbook air (i5,16gb). For the most part the laptop does everything that I need it to do fine. There are some hiccups, sometimes stuttering performance and really high temperatures (I am from Singapore which has constant 30 degree weather), if that matters for ambient temperatures). I am using it only for safari, slack, word, discord/skype and spotify/music and mac photos app for my photo organization. Now due to the covid-19 situation, I am working from home and using screensharing alot more. The 2020 air however is awful when it comes to screensharing. Even with just safari and nothing else, the 2020 air shoots up to 100 degrees immediately once i start screensharing and the laptop slows to a crawl, running at 20 - 40 fps. Sometimes it starts the screensharing fine, but after 5 minutes or so, the viewer is watching my screen at 5 - 10 fps. (This is probably due to the heat and boost clocks having to drop)

I am returning this 2020 air for the upcoming 13inch pro. To existing 2019 13inch pro owners, how does the laptop perform while screensharing. Discord screensharing specifically. Im curious as both the 2020 air and mbp 13 laptops do not feature discrete graphics.

Is this a CPU issue or a graphics issue as to why discord screensharing runs so poorly. My guess is that its a heat+cpu issue. (Though my previous mac was the 2015, 15inch with discrete AMD graphics and screensharing ran perfectly fine on that model, no stuttering at all)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.