Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Got this laptop just yesterday. Apparently while I left it downloading the sims 4, when I went back to check it it was restarting. I didn't realize that it was kernel panic until I closed all the apps that are opened and saw the message that says "your computer restarted because of a problem...." is it normal that these kind of things happened? or since this is only 2 day old I should just return it and get a new one? am I just being paranoid? please help! first time experiencing It, sorry!

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Got this laptop just yesterday. Apparently while I left it downloading the sims 4, when I went back to check it it was restarting. I didn't realize that it was kernel panic until I closed all the apps that are opened and saw the message that says "your computer restarted because of a problem...." is it normal that these kind of things happened? or since this is only 2 day old I should just return it and get a new one? am I just being paranoid? please help! first time experiencing It, sorry!

It is not a normal thing, but it is. If the makes sense. I've seen it with my Mac tons of times. You just need to make sure your computer is ready to be restarted before you do it. If you install a game and plan to leave your Mac for a while, then go ahead and close out of everything else

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
It is not a normal thing, but it is. If the makes sense. I've seen it with my Mac tons of times. You just need to make sure your computer is ready to be restarted before you do it. If you install a game and plan to leave your Mac for a while, then go ahead and close out of everything else

I wasn't able to see if my computer was, cause literally the moment I came back it restarted by itself already, and I just needed to put my account password. I know it sounds so silly, but should I just return it and get a new one? its only 2 days old. should I just wait and see if it happens again? sorry, new MacBook Pro owner and so worried as this thing is pricey! :/

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
I wasn't able to see if my computer was, cause literally the moment I came back it restarted by itself already, and I just needed to put my account password. I know it sounds so silly, but should I just return it and get a new one? its only 2 days old. should I just wait and see if it happens again? sorry, new MacBook Pro owner and so worried as this thing is pricey! :/

no need to return it. You probably had some other apps open. Once the game finished, the Mac restarted it self and BAM.You have that message. The Message means nothing. If you try and return it, Apple will probably explain why you got the message. Don't worry. Your Mac is fine.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
no need to return it. You probably had some other apps open. Once the game finished, the Mac restarted it self and BAM.You have that message. The Message means nothing. If you try and return it, Apple will probably explain why you got the message. Don't worry. Your Mac is fine.

The game wasn't finished downloading. I actually thought it only went to sleep, but I only found out it was kernel panic after I saw the message that my computer restarted because of the problem when I closed all my apps (safari and origin). I guess I'm just gonna wait and see if it happens again. :/

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
Did you expand the dialog box and look at the details? If it was sleep/wake failure related kernel panic, then RETURN IT. It's only gonna get worse. I returned mine after 15 kernel panics in one day.

Back to my ole trusted MBP from 2014.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Did you expand the dialog box and look at the details? If it was sleep/wake failure related kernel panic, then RETURN IT. It's only gonna get worse. I returned mine after 15 kernel panics in one day.

Back to my ole trusted MBP from 2014.

I did expand the dialog box, lots of letters and words, but I wasn't really aware of what was going on when I did it so after I expand it it got closed by itself. Should I wait and see if it happens again? I got this from bh photo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.