Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hassiman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
San Diego
Hi,

I have a heart problem and I have been looking for the best app for the Apple watch 4 that will clearly display Heart rhythms in conjunction with time and other metrics...

The apps I have do not show them concisely and them show them one at a time. I realize that the ECG is not constantly being measured... but it would be nice to be able to see an ECG displayed with the displayed heartbeat rate measurement.

Qardio has a great app but it only works with their instruments (Chest Band for heart rate & ECG etc.).

Also I have noticed that when I feel missed heartbeats I have not been notified of an Arrhythmia even though I have that function turned on.

Any suggestions?

sslade6752

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2015
I think the problem is the Apple Watch 4 only has one sensor and is really only designed for the afib detection. If you know how to interpret the EKG pwave QRS complex and T wave you might be able to see some abnormalities bout the Apple Watch is just not sensitive enough to be a real medical use.

I just got done wearing a Holter monitor for 14 days so I’m going to see if any of the times I hit the event monitor if I also took a ekg with my watch to compare

My Holter monitor report has a lot of Bradycardia,VE and SVE’s on them but I don’t think the watch is able to detect ave or Sves

hassiman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
San Diego
I think the problem is the Apple Watch 4 only has one sensor and is really only designed for the afib detection. If you know how to interpret the EKG pwave QRS complex and T wave you might be able to see some abnormalities bout the Apple Watch is just not sensitive enough to be a real medical use.

I just got done wearing a Holter monitor for 14 days so I’m going to see if any of the times I hit the event monitor if I also took a ekg with my watch to compare

My Holter monitor report has a lot of Bradycardia,VE and SVE’s on them but I don’t think the watch is able to detect ave or Sves

Yeah, I understand. I suffer from random bouts of AFib and I was using a Kardia which was quite effective at detecting Afib which I think the Apple watch will also do. A real data set comes from a 12 lead which as you know is not something you can always wear. I would just like an APP with a better data display.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
From another thread ... maybe useful here for reflection. Let's hope some hardware available to consumers that is compatible with Apple Watch comes about (without the very nasty vinegar smelling gooey sticky sensor pads).

The ability of the AW to perform and EKG is an AMAZING advancement in technology. It will save lives
But and EKG on an AW is NOT the same as a 12 Lead EKG that would be done in a hospital or doctors office.

The AW will not detect a heart attack. It says so right there in the app when you launch it. It cannot detect ischemia or infarct.
A 12 Lead EKG looks at the heart electrically from multiple angles. The AW only looks at it from one (Lead 1).
For instance, if you were having an inferior MI (myocardial infarction or heart attack) you would see changes in Leads II, III and aVF on a 12 Lead EKG. The AW would show nothing despite a very serious heart condition. What about an anterior MI? Same thing. AW would show nothing. And is useless to detect many, many other cardiac abnormalities.
AW can detect Afib (atrial fibrillation) which is an abnormal heart rhythm. That's a great thing that it is able to do. That feature is there to serve as a "warning light" so that you call your doctor for further evaluation. The doctor doesn't need to see it. All you have to do is call your doctor and say "My AW says I have Afib." The doctor will then say "Come in so we can run more tests." There is nothing the AW is going to tell them to help diagnose or treat you. Now, the doctor may find it interesting and cool that your AW was able to detect the Afib, but that's about it. A single Lead EKG is of no diagnostic or therapeutic value beyond its intended ability to warn you that an abnormal heart rhythm may be present and that you should contact your doctor for further evaluation.

Reactions: Atreyu25
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.