Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

runtohell121

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
I recently bought a Nikon D5000 refurbished from Adorama.
Now my question is, does this happen to everyone that owns a Nikon D5000 or just mine? When I remove the battery from the body and then reinsert the battery, the date and time has been resetted and need to set it again before use.

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2006
Your internal battery may be defective or you are not allowing it enough time to charge up to hold a new charge or it may be charging slower than normal.

It doesn't look like it's accessible by the user.

picture1tep.png

Oher companies use separate button batteries that may last longer than the camera itself and are user serviceable.

picture2lg.png

Seems sort of like an annoying little flaw for Nikon bodies.

runtohell121

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
wow.. should i ask for an exchange..? It took 9 days for it to arrive from adorama -__-.. I don't want to wait again...

runtohell121

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
I'm guessing most likely it will be an RMA to Nikon if I call them ><... and I want to use this camera for graduation.. don't have time to wait for it to come back since my friend is graduating on 5/15.. RMA usually takes 2-4 weeks from my experience with other companies :(

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2006
If all else fails, you can always rent one if it's that important to have one.

Or if you have no issues with buying and returning to a store, you could do that as well. Just take care not to break it ;)

runtohell121

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
I'm going to try letting my "battery" charge the internal battery and see what happens. I received it today, plugged in the charger to charge the main battery. It's fully charged. I insert the battery and set the time and date, take out the battery and it asks for me to reset date and time.. So I'm guessing it's either not charged or defective :(

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2006
Actually, I just realized your camera is still functional. You could just use it until after the graduation and then return it after, and assuming you won't be past the exchange or return date.

And it still remembers the date and time while the camera is powered and as long as you don't remove the battery, does it not? Just use it like that for now. It's not such an issue for now.

runtohell121

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
yuppp... guess I can't remove the battery until it's out of juice or unless I want to charge it..

djarsalan2006

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2009
New York City
I recently bought a Nikon D5000 refurbished from Adorama.
Now my question is, does this happen to everyone that owns a Nikon D5000 or just mine? When I remove the battery from the body and then reinsert the battery, the date and time has been resetted and need to set it again before use.

wow, seems like a faulty battery, i got one on Sunday from Adorama, the exact same item, D5000 .. i dont really have any problem and i'm so happy with it ..

runtohell121

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
Ok.. the battery problem is solved now.

Next question.. I'm noticing a line in the "center" of the viewfinder when I'm looking through.. is it a dead pixel line?

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
Next question.. I'm noticing a line in the "center" of the viewfinder when I'm looking through.. is it a dead pixel line?

First of all, there are no pixels when you look through the viewfinder. You are looking directly through the lens. At this point no light is hitting the sensor. The line could be the grid line on your focusing screen. When you look through the viewfinder you should see something like this:

VFinder.jpg

If you see some other lines, it could be dust/hair/dirt on your focusing screen or on the mirror. If the line you see looks really sharp then if can't be on the lens.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Ok.. the battery problem is solved now.

What was the solution? Do you mind filling us in? BTW, I've have a D50 and a D300, and never had that issue, ever. I only set the time once on either one... and on the D50 I set it in 2006...

Also, I suggest spending a little time with the owners manual. It often will often give you the answers to the questions you have. You probably can change the viewfinder settings in the menu somewhere to give you a grid, or some other horizontal reference line, or to turn it off.

runtohell121

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
First of all, there are no pixels when you look through the viewfinder. You are looking directly through the lens. At this point no light is hitting the sensor. The line could be the grid line on your focusing screen. When you look through the viewfinder you should see something like this:

VFinder.jpg

If you see some other lines, it could be dust/hair/dirt on your focusing screen or on the mirror. If the line you see looks really sharp then if can't be on the lens.

It gives a straight black line in the middle.. where as other focusing area doesn't show a black line all the sudden. It only shows the black line when it focus in the center.

What was the solution? Do you mind filling us in? BTW, I've have a D50 and a D300, and never had that issue, ever. I only set the time once on either one... and on the D50 I set it in 2006...

Also, I suggest spending a little time with the owners manual. It often will often give you the answers to the questions you have. You probably can change the viewfinder settings in the menu somewhere to give you a grid, or some other horizontal reference line, or to turn it off.

Uhh.. I just left my main battery in charging for 2 1/2 day with some usage... guess that internal battery was out of juice...

runtohell121

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
I have another question....

I've been using this Nikon D5000 for a while. Since the time I got it, I've been noticing that between 35mm to 45mm, sometime it gets stuck, unable to zoom past 35/45mm. Example, I'm on the 18-35mm side, wanting to zoom to 45-55mm, it get's stuck around 40mm.. What's the problem with it? :(

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007

I've been using this Nikon D5000 for a while. Since the time I got it, I've been noticing that between 35mm to 45mm, sometime it gets stuck, unable to zoom past 35/45mm. Example, I'm on the 18-35mm side, wanting to zoom to 45-55mm, it get's stuck around 40mm.. What's the problem with it? :(

Sounds like the lens is broken in some way. Perhaps there is some garbage in 'the mechanism'.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI

This is a refurb D5000 right? Sounds like your lens may have some mechanical issues. You should call Adorama on this ASAP, but I suspect you may have to deal with Nikon after this long.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Oher companies use separate button batteries that may last longer than the camera itself and are user serviceable.

This isn't a "other company" issue, Nikon has ancillary batteries on most of its DSLR line, it's a newer "low-end camera" issue. I suspect the cost savings in the high volume production of the low-end cameras make adding a battery holder, battery seater, battery and battery door unattractive.

Paul

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2006
This isn't a "other company" issue, Nikon has ancillary batteries on most of its DSLR line, it's a newer "low-end camera" issue. I suspect the cost savings in the high volume production of the low-end cameras make adding a battery holder, battery seater, battery and battery door unattractive.
The D90, D300 and D700 also do not have user serviceable date and time batteries.

Do you consider them to be "low-end" cameras?

runtohell121

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
This is a refurb D5000 right? Sounds like your lens may have some mechanical issues. You should call Adorama on this ASAP, but I suspect you may have to deal with Nikon after this long.

Adorama return/exchange probably past already huh?
Have anyone ever deal with Nikon? I don't want it to take like 1 month for my lens to be repaired.
What do I fill? Do I fill it as "Nikon D5000" or "Nikkor Lens" for package/warranty printout..? The body itself isn't faulty, only the lens is..

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Adorama return/exchange probably past already huh?
Have anyone ever deal with Nikon? I don't want it to take like 1 month for my lens to be repaired.
What do I fill? Do I fill it as "Nikon D5000" or "Nikkor Lens" for package/warranty printout..? The body itself isn't faulty, only the lens is..

Aren't both faulty?

runtohell121

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
The Body itself has no problems what so ever. Only the Lens have problem. Even when I detach the lens from the body, it still gets stuck. That's why I'm wondering if I can just send the "lens" in instead of the "whole" camera (body+lens)

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2006
Both my D2x and D3x have internal batteries, do you consider them not Nikon?
What?
This isn't a "other company" issue, Nikon has ancillary batteries on most of its DSLR line, it's a newer "low-end camera" issue.
That would be a contradictory statement.

Nikon does not have user serviceable time and date batteries in most of its line.

screenshot20100519at111j.png

15 of those do not have a backup battery. You can call it a "low-end camera issue" if you want but I don't know how D300 and D700 users would take it when you call their cameras "low-end".

Doesn't really change the fact that Nikon does not have user serviceable backup batteries in most of their cameras.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.