Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amyangel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
with previous years i recall the VZ version tend to be unlocked with all the frequencies and was the best bang for the buck but do we have any idea which version is best to order from Apple for unlocked versions of the iphone 8? I'm currently with Tmobile and will probably stay there for the time being but want to weigh my options if i do leave for other carriers.

Thanks

atlas_0

Suspended
Dec 30, 2016
I always go with the Verizon versions, personally.

If unlocked is an option, I ensure it's the same model as the Verizon version.

Reactions: amyangel

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
with previous years i recall the VZ version tend to be unlocked with all the frequencies and was the best bang for the buck
How many previous years are we talking of?

The iPhone 6/6+ SIM free version Apple sold in store and online was actually the Sprint model fully unlocked.

As to the rest of your question, I have no idea. Whatever the new iPhone(s) will be called, they have not been released yet. Which means the specs for them are not available.

amyangel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
I always go with the Verizon versions, personally.

If unlocked is an option, I ensure it's the same model as the Verizon version.
Thank you! yes i was thinking that might be the best option. I didn't do that for my 7+ and when I left At&t I could only go with Tmobile without having to buy a new phone.
[doublepost=1503693078][/doublepost]
How many previous years are we talking of?

The iPhone 6/6+ SIM free version Apple sold in store and online was actually the Sprint model fully unlocked.

As to the rest of your question, I have no idea. Whatever the new iPhone(s) will be called, they have no been released yet. Which means the specs for them are not available.

Sorry i meant my IP7. thanks for the feedback

Reactions: eyoungren

atlas_0

Suspended
Dec 30, 2016
Thank you! yes i was thinking that might be the best option. I didn't do that for my 7+ and when I left At&t I could only go with Tmobile without having to buy a new phone.
[doublepost=1503693078][/doublepost]

Sorry i meant my IP7. thanks for the feedback

Yep, in my experience you have to be a little careful with the unlocked ones, because there's usually unlocked GSM, the unlocked Sprint model, and then the really unlocked VZW model.

I've had issues with the first two, but never with a verizon model. Even the SE I got on Verizon Prepaid is a fully unlocked model.

gurase

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2015
I always wait for the SIM-free unlocked model because it usually works on all carriers. You need carrier account info to preorder any of the carrier models except T-Mobile, but the T-Mobile iPhone 7 doesn't work on Verizon.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I've had issues with the first two, but never with a verizon model. Even the SE I got on Verizon Prepaid is a fully unlocked model.
The unlock policy Verizon maintains for LTE devices is pretty nice I have to say.

In May, within the span of two weeks I took my old Sprint iPhones into Apple for battery replacements because the batteries were swelling.

Both of these devices are the iPhone 5. Which from all I have ever read about the Sprint iPhone 5 cannot be unlocked, period.

In both instances, the Apple genius allowed me to choose my carrier during setup. I'm on T-Mobile, but both of these phones are secondary phones. So I chose Verizon as the carrier.

By the time I walked out of the Apple store, Verizon's unlock policy had hit home and both Sprint iPhone 5's were unlocked.

My son is using one as his primary phone on T-Mobile and I'm using my old one as a secondary phone on T-Mobile. We both only get 4G with these devices because they do not support T-Mob's LTE bands, but they are fully unlocked.

It was a really nice payoff to a gamble I took with choosing Verizon as the carrier.

atlas_0

Suspended
Dec 30, 2016
The unlock policy Verizon maintains for LTE devices is pretty nice I have to say.

In May, within the span of two weeks I took my old Sprint iPhones into Apple for battery replacements because the batteries were swelling.

Both of these devices are the iPhone 5. Which from all I have ever read about the Sprint iPhone 5 cannot be unlocked, period.

In both instances, the Apple genius allowed me to choose my carrier during setup. I'm on T-Mobile, but both of these phones are secondary phones. So I chose Verizon as the carrier.

By the time I walked out of the Apple store, Verizon's unlock policy had hit home and both Sprint iPhone 5's were unlocked.

My son is using one as his primary phone on T-Mobile and I'm using my old one as a secondary phone on T-Mobile. We both only get 4G with these devices because they do not support T-Mob's LTE bands, but they are fully unlocked.

It was a really nice payoff to a gamble I took with choosing Verizon as the carrier.
Verizon has some crappy policies, and their prices aren't always the best on plans - but they do have a few policies that make up for the negatives.

A- their unlock policy is fantastic. No questions, no hassle, just done. Awesome.

B- Their prepaid policy is even better. Want an iPhone SE for $200? Buy a prepaid verizon one, activate it on prepaid, and it can be put immediately on post paid or another carrier.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
All Verizon LTE phones are unlocked out of the box, not because Verizon is nice, but because it's required by law.
It's required per an agreement with the FCC.

If Verizon wanted to terminate the agreement and stop using the LTE band that the agreement allows them to use there is no law stopping them from doing so.

I only give them credit for honoring the agreement. But because they did my two Sprint iPhone 5's are unlocked.

Reactions: rui no onna

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It's required per an agreement with the FCC.

If Verizon wanted to terminate the agreement and stop using the LTE band that the agreement allows them to use there is no law stopping them from doing so.

I only give them credit for honoring the agreement. But because they did my two Sprint iPhone 5's are unlocked.

Yes, I dont think they would be giving away all those valuable frequencies they bought in order to start locking phones. :D
If they could they definitely would lock them and make it extra hard to unlock or charge fees to do it.
Its verizon we're talking about, the greediest carrier in the US ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.