Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

starryeyedkat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Connecticut, USA
I am thinking about buying the canon rebel xsi this week, and I wanted to see if it is Mac compatible.

This might be a really dumb question, I am new to owning my own DSLR. I have a new-ish macbook pro, I just bought it the end of July. It has an SD card reader built in... does that mean I don't need a card reader?

Also, I am pretty sure that the rebel comes with a cord to hook it up to the computer- should everything be easy-peasy with my mac?

Last question (for now!): What software should I buy? Can I edit my pics in iphoto like i do my regular digi cam?

Thank you so much for any help/advice!

/"\/oo\/"\

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
"easy-peasy" is a pretty good way to put it :D you can use the built-in card reader (which should be faster than connecting the camera) or connect the camera directly.

iPhoto will handle the basics fine, even if you're shooting raw, although you may find yourself wanting the feature set of an application such as Aperture in the future.

Slightly o/t, which lens(es) are you thinking about starting with?

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I have a Rebel XTi, a little older, but it is absolutely wonderful. Love it. Especially as the first DSLR I purchased. I have a great 70-300 zoom, and the standard lens. Great thing for the family; really can't say enough about it. I don't have a new MacBookPro, I have the older model and I either hook up the camera or use a USB reader (which is much faster).

starryeyedkat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Connecticut, USA
Thanks for your help!

I'm not sure what lenses to buy! I will probably have to use the kit lens for a while, I'm a broke college student, and I won't be able to afford anything too fancy right away.

I really know nothing about lenses, or what I should start saving for. Any tips? :D

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Any even remotely modern Mac is compatible to your camera. If you have a MacBook Pro 13" or 15", you can of course use the built-in card reader to transfer your photos, although you can also use a USB cable (whatever you prefer). Enjoy your camera!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.