Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TenthDoctor

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
Okay, so today I am going to be setting up a new Mac for use at my church (computer is arriving today).

Last night I found out that someone was trying to change the password on my personal Apple ID (but thankfully they apparently only had my email address, as all my devices received a message asking if I wanted to reset my password).

I would like to create a new Apple ID for this church computer (that will be used mostly by me), but I want to have complete control of the ID using the two factor authentication, to make sure no one tries to access it. Can I use my devices as 2 factor for this ID too? Or can only one Apple ID be used with the device?

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
Set up your cell phone number as a trusted phone number in settings/appie id/password & security for the church account.

This way, when 2 factor authentication asks for approval on a trusted device, you can select to get a code another way and select your cell number

this is what I do at our church, where I have a setup like this for our apple devices

TenthDoctor

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
Set up your cell phone number as a trusted phone number in settings/appie id/password & security for the church account.

This way, when 2 factor authentication asks for approval on a trusted device, you can select to get a code another way and select your cell number

this is what I do at our church, where I have a setup like this for our apple devices
Awesome. Thank you!

any other advice?

The new computer is arriving today, so I will be setting it up.

The church has no other Apple devices, as all other computers, including the one this one is replacing, are Windows computers.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
Awesome. Thank you!

any other advice?

The new computer is arriving today, so I will be setting it up.

The church has no other Apple devices, as all other computers, including the one this one is replacing, are Windows computers.
No other advice other than keep the Apple ID and password in a safe place?.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.