Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e5volcano

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
Hi all,
Been pretty much an iOS user for the past few years having an iPhone. I'm looking to get a tablet this fall/winter season, and I been a little disappointed with Apple's pricing on the new tablets especially given the small capacity. As a result I have been looking at Android tablets, specifically the Nexus 10 which the new version should be announced sometime soon, and if its base storage is 32GB, it will be a strong contender for me to get one.

That being said, I have never used Android so I have some questions about it. Excuse me if I portray any ignorance, it is just because I do not know anything about Android, and this is not a troll thread.

So my first question is that I have noticed there is a lot of diversity among Android devices that range from screen resolution, to hardware power, to actual OS running on the device. So when developers make apps, do they make them for the top tier Android devices or devices that are more abundant? I've tried browsing the Google Play Store a bit, and I don't really see much description of say what res the app is running. My concern is that if I buy the Nexus 10, a lot of apps would be designed for devices with lower res so it would not look as good, or take full advantage of the power.

Thank you.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I've never owned a Nexus 10, but I've owned both versions of the Nexus 7 as well as a Nook HD and HD+ (which has Nexus 10-like resolution, or at least what I'd call "high" resolution). I've used a large number of apps on all of those devices and have noticed no issues, nor when looking at them on my Nexus 4.

It's important to note that Android has always, or at least for a long time, been vector-based and scalable, so the iPhone vs iPad type resolution clunkiness never happened on there.

That doesn't mean that a lot of apps don't just punt and allow the phone versions to auto-scale up to tablet sizes, but the majority of popular apps will adjust to the tablet size (and not just look like they do on the phone) and will look quite good, regardless of the tablet's resolution, because of the fact that they aren't tied to a given pixel size.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Android is scalable so your apps will scale fine. However for a while you may get app imcompatability whilst developers update to support your device.

If you get chance to try an android tablet beforehand it will be well worth doing so and you'll be able to see for yourself how it (android) handles apps and such....

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I just looked up the rumored price for the upcoming Nexus 10 2.

Several sites said it will supposedly be around $560.00 US. Which is right around what you will pay for an iPad air.

So basically, don't think it's going to be much cheaper than an iPad. Sure if the base model is 32gb and you pay 60$ more than an iPad air that has 16gb, then you're getting more space for a little bit more $, as we all know 32gb iPad air will be $599. But this comes down to what you prefer on a tablet. Android vs iOS.

I have iOS on my phone (5S), and I specifically sought out an Android tablet because I happen to prefer Android on a tablet. I did days and days of research, looking up the most recommended Android tablet, looking up reviews, etc. So many sites claimed the Nexus 7 2 is the best low priced tablet that money can buy, so I went out and got one. And I'm glad I did.

Now if 7" is too small and you're looking for a slightly bigger screen, maybe look out for LG's upcoming Gpad. 8.3" screen, 1.7Ghz Quad-core Snapdragon 600 processor, micro SD expansion, 4600 mah battery and running Android 4.2.2. Priced at $350.

But again, the $229 Nexus 7 2 is a beast and in my opinion a great "first Android tablet". Gets instant updates, runs the latest Android 4.3, and runs velvety smooth. Will I move to something bigger in the future? Maybe, but I enjoy the portability of a 7" tablet and for the small price I paid I am highly satisfied with it.

Other tablets to consider? Note 8.0 from Samsung for around $380. Although I dont prefer Samsung tablets because of the touchwiz, they are loaded with features. I actually owned a Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 ($280) but then returned it for the N7. It just didn't run as smooth and just seemed a little gimmicky and "busy".

Do some research, go into a Best Buy and play around on them. And try to get a feel of what you like the best.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.