Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomasdangit

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
San Francisco, CA
Hey everyone, I pre-ordered my Apple Watch Series 7 in Gold Stainless Steel, but got a shipping time of early November. I’m thinking about coming in to my local Apple Store on launch day this Friday, October 15 and see if they have any.

I’ve never shopped for Apple Watch on launch day, though. What is your experience, if any, on picking up Apple Watch on launch day in an Apple Store?

I talked to a couple reps in my local Apple Store today, and they mentioned they usually do have some inventory for in-store purchases/walk-in buyers on launch day. However, how is stock usually for stainless steel models?

Finally, they recommended that I check apple.com and look for pick-up-in-store availability starting 8 am Friday, October 15. (Right now, there’s no more pick-up-in-store…those are long gone.) They said that if the Apple Store had any walk-in inventory, that walk-in inventory of Apple Watch would display starting at 8 am on launch day. Is this true? I didn’t know that stock reserved for walk-ins (at least, not on the first launch day) appeared on the online Apple Store website.

I really appreciate you sharing your experience(s) with this!

brandonnnnnnn

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2015
TX
I noticed the graphite stainless steel model with abyss sport band is still available for in store pickup around quite a few stores for the launch day. Does anyone know any other common stainless steel configurations that are available? I can’t find another combo more readily available.

macnmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2017
Apple Park
I noticed the graphite stainless steel model with abyss sport band is still available for in store pickup around quite a few stores for the launch day. Does anyone know any other common stainless steel configurations that are available? I can’t find another combo more readily available.

check everyday until launch day, inventory updates are unknown

4pp13

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2020
I was told that they should have stock in store on the day but they gave no details about how easy it would be to obtain this or what watches would be stocked. I'm hoping there's some miracles in this regard as I ordered a watch for pickup but now am quickly changing my mind about switching to a different one.

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
I was told that they should have stock in store on the day but they gave no details about how easy it would be to obtain this or what watches would be stocked. I'm hoping there's some miracles in this regard as I ordered a watch for pickup but now am quickly changing my mind about switching to a different one.
Which one did you pre-order and which one are you looking at instead?

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
Can confirm. Several stores in my current area have this combo (Graphite SS w Abyss blue sport band) for in-store pickup.

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
Think this a classic...ordered ss graphite, kinda want sbti instead.
Funny, similar here. Have the Graphite SS for in store pickup Fri, but thinking about either Gold SS or Natural Ti. Ti would be my first choice but it seems unlikely they’d have in store pick up. Who knows though…they just might ??‍♂️

4pp13

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2020
Funny, similar here. Have the Graphite SS for in store pickup Fri, but thinking about either Gold SS or Natural Ti. Ti would be my first choice but it seems unlikely they’d have in store pick up. Who knows though…they just might ??‍♂️
Yeah the natural ti looks good. Didn't realise how shiny the graphite is based off the stock picture from Apple. Have gone off it completely. Even though people are saying the 6 sbti wasn't a true black, I saw it on some youtube video paired with a charcoal braided loop and it looks proper stealth. Much more to my taste. Don't care if someone thinks it's alu. Maybe reviews tomorrow will prove otherwise. Hope you do manage an on-the-day ti.

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
Yeah the natural ti looks good. Didn't realise how shiny the graphite is based off the stock picture from Apple. Have gone off it completely. Even though people are saying the 6 sbti wasn't a true black, I saw it on some youtube video paired with a charcoal braided loop and it looks proper stealth. Much more to my taste. Don't care if someone thinks it's alu. Maybe reviews tomorrow will prove otherwise. Hope you do manage an on-the-day ti.
Im worried that I’d be bothered with the super shiny SS Graphite getting smudged easily. Thanks, same to you happy hunting!

Reactions: 4pp13

highdefjunkie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2010
Chicago
From past experience, Apple always has inventory on launch day. I pre-ordered the Starlight Silver Aluminum for an in store pick up on Friday. However, I'm second guessing the Starlight Silver color, so I'm going to go to the store a few hours before it opens, and hoping I'll be able to cancel my order and get a stainless Steel instead.

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
From past experience, Apple always has inventory on launch day. I pre-ordered the Starlight Silver Aluminum for an in store pick up on Friday. However, I'm second guessing the Starlight Silver color, so I'm going to go to the store a few hours before it opens, and hoping I'll be able to cancel my order and get a stainless Steel instead.
Silver or Graphite SS?

4pp13

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2020
Oh man, reviews have proven otherwise. May calm the titanium desires down at the moment as I'm wondering if it'd make the keeping it for 3 years goal given this release is a big giant 6s for sure. Even the feature that I was most looking forward to seems a bit meh (eg the keyboard). MKBHD expressed doubts about whether anything but the included usb-c puck will allow faster charging. Since I'm only looking for cellular and not putting screen protector onto my old one the not ideal colour way and bit more weight seem worth the savings towards a sooner upgrade. More weight on the watch at the gym just will be more exercise.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
They said that if the Apple Store had any walk-in inventory, that walk-in inventory of Apple Watch would display starting at 8 am on launch day. Is this true?
The method that I find works for me is to check the online Apple Store each day to see if the watch is available for in-store pickup at my local Apple Store. If one is available, put in the order, wait for email saying your pickup is ready, go to the store, in and out in five minutes. You may not get it on the first day of product launch, but I've always been able to get one in the first week.

Reactions: shr631

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
there going to be plenty on Friday to be pickup from stores. just like the iphone 13 launch. preorder shows delivery dates were deep into November, but the day before launch, apple stores near me all have inventory to pickup on launch day. they're stocking the stores right now, check the in-store pickup availability Friday morning.

MichaelMidnight

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
Los Angeles
there going to be plenty on Friday to be pickup from stores. just like the iphone 13 launch. preorder shows delivery dates were deep into November, but the day before launch, apple stores near me all have inventory to pickup on launch day. they're stocking the stores right now, check the in-store pickup availability Friday morning.
dont-give-me-hope-Avengers-meme-template.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: shr631

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Just like the phone launches this year for my area, the Wednesday before availability, all models show "Apple Store Pickup is currently unavailable.". They stayed that way Thursday too.

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
it's not worth it to preorder now if you haven't done so already. may as well try your luck on launch day for store pickup. i learned my lesson on the iphone 13 launched, found the exact phone at my nearby apple store on launch day, but was not able to cancel my online preorder at another store 20 miles away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.