Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bocaj1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
I have a 2012 MacBook Pro I believe just the base model with 512GBs of storage and 4GBs of RAM. I wanted to ask on the forum about how I should go about selling it. The obvious choice for me would be eBay however I’m not sure how I would list it for the condition it’s in. The laptop exterior has a dent and the bottom is missing a little foot pad. In terms of the keyboard, trackpad, etc. they all are in perfect condition. The only issue is that it’s incredibly slow and I mean SLOW. It’s a chore to open any program and even doing something as simple as clicking on the menu or openening a folder it gets bogged down. I wanted to just get it off my hands because it collects dust and maybe someone can fix it and too be honest the iPad Pros caught my eye. If I were to sell it on eBay should I mark it as “for parts only” since it’s not in the best condition? I was thinking maybe just maybe I could get 200-300$ for it since it might just be something simple as it needs a new hard drive. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The obvious choice for me would be eBay however
There's also craigslist (no fees, cash only face to face transactions). There's also swappa, I've sold phones and a Surface Pro there.

I’m not sure how I would list it for the condition it’s in. The laptop exterior has a dent and the bottom is missing a little foot pad. In terms of the keyboard, trackpad, etc. they all are in perfect condition.
I would be very honest, and state the physical condition

The only issue is that it’s incredibly slow and I mean SLOW. It’s a chore to open any program and even doing something as simple as clicking on the menu or openening a folder it gets bogged down
Does it have a spinning drive? Could the drive be failing? I have a 2012 rMBP (has a SSD) and its still very quite fast, I've not upgraded the OS since El Cap but performance is quite acceptable.

bocaj1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
There's also craigslist (no fees, cash only face to face transactions). There's also swappa, I've sold phones and a Surface Pro there.

I would be very honest, and state the physical condition

Does it have a spinning drive? Could the drive be failing? I have a 2012 rMBP (has a SSD) and its still very quite fast, I've not upgraded the OS since El Cap but performance is quite acceptable.

Well I just erased everything and reinstalled Sierra and it seems to be working faster. Still quite hesitant though because I don’t want to say it’s perfectly fine and then it slow down on someone.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Sell it as is, make sure you post pictures of dents and such. Be honest.
As for marking it for parts only would be sad, as it might be the system that some are looking for.

The 13" 2012 machine is still a good machine, provided it gets a few upgrades. An SSD and 8GB of ram makes wonders for it.
The internal HHD which is in it now could properly function nicely as an external for timemachine back-ups.
Mentioning these things would properly help weed out people inexperienced with computers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.