Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

egis

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Bethesda, Maryland
Hello all - have read most publicity on the new machines announced yesterday. I presume, but am not sure if any spec items in the machine can be upgraded after purchase - mostly wondering about RAM and SSD. If anyone has insight on this question I sure would appreciate learning.

Currently, use a 2015 full load MBPro. It's been a terrific unit that has never needed repair and has sufficient space to handle just about anything I need to do or take with me. The only issue I have with the machine is the trackpad that always seems to move the cursor as I use the keyboard - particularly when I am drafting text. I purchased this machine in early 2017 from Apple. I remember distinctly the Apple sales person looking at me with surprise that I did not wish to purchase either a late 2016 or early 2017 unit. So glad I stayed with my decision. Albeit it is now obsolete and slower when it comes to video and photos, otherwise it gets my work done reliably. Nonetheless, I note the 2018 version offers some serious advancements worth considering. So far as purchasing here are the questions I need to see answered:

Does the 2018 version possess the build quality approaching what I have with my 2015 version?
Will the 3rd try on the keyboard produce a reliable, long-term fix?
Does the battery last as long as advertised, and
Does the newish display advancements make a difference to users over retina?

I notice they now provide battery times by types of applications, how that helps them defend less than advertised times leaves me wondering, and the trackpad seems to be much more controllable than in my version, and no longer provide a mouse with the unit. I plan to see how first-time adopters find their experiences with the machine for at least 6 months before I consider investing. Thanks much

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Give it a couple of weeks until we see a plethora of reviews. Your questions are exactly the questions I have. I'm on the fence as well. I was going to wait until next year but if they really did fix the keyboards, I think I will jump in.

Reactions: Ezcompane

tpivette89

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2018
Middletown, DE
There has already been an iFixit posting detailing the improvement of the 3rd gen butterfly keyboard. Seems as though Apple added a silicon membrane surrounding each key to keep dust and contaminants out. Hopefully this prolongs keyboard life and prevents premature failure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.