Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tputs001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
Hi Guys,

My question is rather simple. I want to get a 77mm circular polarizer for my Nikon 18-200mm lens which is 72mm in diameter so it can also be used with my Nikon 12-24mm wide angle lens. My question is this, if I use a step up ring for my 72mm --> 77mm, will my 77mm lens hood be able to attach onto the 18-200mm with the step up ring? I already know that the 72mm hood won't be able too. Thanks! :)

-Tom

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
no, it won't. the step-up ring attaches to the back of the polarizer so the front stays the same as if you would attach it to your other lenses. since you don't attach your hood to your filter, you won't be able to.

//F

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
You won't be able to use the hood but sometimes you can buy aftermarket rubber hoods that don't have a bayonet mounting but attach in a more generic fashion, and you might be able to use that.

Ruahrc

tputs001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
awww, thank you for your responses! i appreciate it. I will probably either try to look into those rubber hoods now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.