Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Binford

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
Boston, MA
Hello. I was just wondering, is it possible to access pictures in my aperture library with other programs? or just use preview funciton to open the (the osx preview app, not 'preview' within aperture). i've noticed that the pictures files in ap2 are saved into proprietary aperture 2 library files as opposed to just the files themselves .

thank you!

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
You can browse into the Aperture library if you crtl click on it and pick 'Show Package Contents' there 's a bunch of directories in there. You shouldn't change anything in there though otherwise Aperture will get confused and you risk damaging your library.

iLife applications have access to your photos in the same way as if you were using iPhoto. For example you can build iDVD slideshows with your Aperture library.

Richard Flynn

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
Sydney
In Leopard (not sure which OS you're using) you can access your Aperture (and iPhoto, and iTunes) libraries from just about any open/import dialog box throughout the system—that's no longer limited solely to the iLife apps. This works even if the application in question was written prior to Leopard. So, you could be in Word '04, and import an image direct from your Aperture library.

The photos that are accessible from outside Aperture are the previews generated by Aperture. So, you will only have photos within the resolution defined in your Aperture preferences for preview resolution.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Access to your Aperture library is built right into every open/save box: at the bottom, you'll find Media > Pictures. Both, iPhoto and Aperture Library will show up if they exist. You can access your whole library with the same structure as in the respective app itself (i. e. the folder/project structure is the same).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.