Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anewsom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2017
I am looking for an app that I can use to send email notes to myself. I would like it to be simple as pressing one button to start the recording, convert it to text, then email the message to my email account without having to enter the email address or press a send button. I use my inbox to recieve all my tasks, actions, and ideas. Any help is appreciated.

Best,
Andy

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Have you tried using Siri for this kind of thing?

Can be done through Siri but requires steps that the OP specified against.

I've seen a couple of paid services that offer something like this via an app but I don't know how much they cost or if they're that easy to use.

You could set up a Google Voice number, set a very short greeting, put it on "Do Not Disturb", set it up to transcribe and forward messages to your email. All you'd have to do is call the number, leave the voice "note", and GV would email the transcription to you.

Google Voice is going through a few changes this week and the settings in the new interface lack a few that the legacy interface had to set this up properly...but the legacy interface is still accessible.

MainStream

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2010
I am looking for an app that I can use to send email notes to myself. I would like it to be simple as pressing one button to start the recording, convert it to text, then email the message to my email account without having to enter the email address or press a send button. I use my inbox to recieve all my tasks, actions, and ideas. Any help is appreciated.

Best,
Andy

If you use an Apple watch, Outlook has this feature. It requires you to push two buttons but I use it frequently and it is both easy and reliable.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

I've seen a couple of paid services that offer something like this via an app but I don't know how much they cost or if they're that easy to use.

You could set up a Google Voice number, set a very short greeting, put it on "Do Not Disturb", set it up to transcribe and forward messages to your email. All you'd have to do is call the number, leave the voice "note", and GV would email the transcription to you.

Google Voice is going through a few changes this week and the settings in the new interface lack a few that the legacy interface had to set this up properly...but the legacy interface is still accessible.
What steps are required that the "OP specified against"?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
What steps are required that the "OP specified against"?

If he's got more than one email address in his own contact card he'll have to specify which one (I suppose he could set up a separate email address in a separate contact and have that one forwarded to his own email). He didn't say he wanted to have to dictate a subject line...Siri always wants one. He said he didn't want to press a send button (I guess he wants to hold down the button and send upon release?).

Considering that, for a separate app, you'd have to close the one you're in and open the desired voice note app, Siri still might require fewer steps if you set up a recipient properly.

anewsom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2017

Thanks for the idea.
[doublepost=1485972427][/doublepost]Thanks for the idea

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.