Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThunderRobot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
It's been sprung on me that I have to go to London for a business trip. As such I'll be carrying a load of things for work so camera space is extremely limited.

I was planning on taking the 5D MkII with 24-105 because it has a good focal range, less obvious than a white lens and is (reasonably) small.

Alternatively I could take the 70-200 f/4 IS or 50 f/1.4.

In the main I'll be looking for architectural / cityscape shots.

I'll be in conferences all day so will only be shooting from 6pm onwards - low light at least.

As well as not having capacity for extra bulk, I'm not familiar with London so will be wearing it on an R4 slung under a coat for a bit of discretion.

Thoughts? Opinions? 24-105 or 70-200 or 50? Anything else I should be thinking about?

Troglodyte

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2009
Tricky, the sun is setting aorund 5-5.30 in London right now so you'll be photographing in the dark after that. The 24-105 has the best range and you do really need the wide end in London as there's not much room in some streets, but the 50 would do better in the light. Can you rent a 35/f1.4 or 24/f1.4? Maybe these guys can help http://www.lensesforhire.co.uk/

ThunderRobot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Thanks for the feedback. I brought the 24-105. I literally did not have room even for the 50. However if the weather doesn't improve I won't be getting any shots. :( Even the an f/1.2 wouldn't help in the dark and rain without a tripod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.