Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mantic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
AL
I just finished editing about 20 pictures in CS3 and saved them as .jpgs for use on myspace. Well.. when I attempt to upload the file to myspace it tells the the file is not supported.

I never had this problem with CS2 does CS3 save in some different way? I thought a .jpg was a jpg and am confused as to why it will not accept the file. Can anyone help?

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
I've had this problem before as well. The workaround I found was to open the pictures in Preview and then do a "save as" and re-save it as a .jpg. Then it seems to work. There also can't be any spaces in the file name I believe.

mantic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
AL
Yeah - same thing with me... I'm not sure what this bug is.

But, the workaround mentioned above works for me too. Still, it's rather frustrating.

Yeah it's very frustrating...

Also.. It seem that when i upload the pics the colors get washed out.. What causes that? Does the same thing on photobucket and myspace.

For example. This screen shot shows an image opened from left to right in preview, photoshop, and photobucket.

phototest.jpg

As you can see.. the uploaded pic looks almost faded. I've also never had that issue either.

Obliviou$

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2006
Most likely because you are saving them in aRGB (Adobe RGB) ... Convert them to sRGB. How? Google it please:) It's a confusing method...

mantic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
AL
Most likely because you are saving them in aRGB (Adobe RGB) ... Convert them to sRGB. How? Google it please:) It's a confusing method...

I'll have to look into that later. In the mean time if anyone here already knows how to deal with the color issue please let me know.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
The images could be CMYK for some reason.

Go to Edit > Color Settings, and make sure the images are RGB.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
You're using Firefox to view the pic, but I'm not sure it uses ColorSync. Try opening the pic with Safari and see if it's the same or not.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I'll have to look into that later. In the mean time if anyone here already knows how to deal with the color issue please let me know.
So this happens when you upload them? (not when they are saved?)
Some sites (such as photobucket) will compress an image to preserve file size and thus their bandwidth.
If you use "save for web" in photoshop you will probably notice that same compression and washed out colour issue. I know you're not saving that way, it's just as an example of compression.

Not a lot can be done about that if it's a website's compression doing that to your photos. Try attaching one here, the files (if they are within limits) are not compressed. Then we'll know if it's a specific website's uploading that is doing this to your photos.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
So this happens when you upload them? (not when they are saved?) Some sites (such as photobucket) will compress an image to preserve file size and thus their bandwidth

It has nothing to do with color management. It's just that PhotoShop uses color profiles and Firefox doesn't, and because the two interpret colors differently, it is possible that images look different when *NOT* color managed.

The solution would be to not embed a color profile to the picture, or to simply ignore the difference (if the image is acceptable without a profile).

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
It has nothing to do with color management. It's just that PhotoShop uses color profiles and Firefox doesn't, and because the two interpret colors differently, it is possible that images look different when *NOT* color managed.

The solution would be to not embed a color profile to the picture, or to simply ignore the difference (if the image is acceptable without a profile).
I know what you mean. I was presenting another possibility (for the problem mentioned in post #4).

mantic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
AL
You're using Firefox to view the pic, but I'm not sure it uses ColorSync. Try opening the pic with Safari and see if it's the same or not.

I'm using Camino not Firefox. But yes you are correct.. It opens and looks fine in Safari and washed out in Camino. Hmmm that's irritating but i guess I can handle it.

So this happens when you upload them? (not when they are saved?)
Some sites (such as photobucket) will compress an image to preserve file size and thus their bandwidth.
If you use "save for web" in photoshop you will probably notice that same compression and washed out colour issue. I know you're not saving that way, it's just as an example of compression.

Not a lot can be done about that if it's a website's compression doing that to your photos. Try attaching one here, the files (if they are within limits) are not compressed. Then we'll know if it's a specific website's uploading that is doing this to your photos.

Seems to be a browser issue. I'm going to try opening the same file uploaded to photobucket in Safari and see how that looks.

Opening it from my HD in Safari looks normal. Opening from my HD in Camino looks washed out.

Can't ignore the obvious. I'm glad this is somewhat sorted now though.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Safari can view embedded color profiles no problem, hence jpgs in Safari looking exactly as they do in Photoshop.

Firefox can't view embedded profiles, leading to a "washed out" look. However, Firefox assumes that the photos are using an sRGB profile and compensates accordingly.

I used to use the Adobe1998 profile exclusively, which looked great in Safari but horrible in Firefox. Now I use an sRGB profile, which looks normal in Safari and only very slightly changed in Firefox - which is a whole lot better than it used to be.

mantic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
AL
Ok..

I opened the pic from photobucket in Safari and it looks fine.

Opened it from photobucket in Camino and it's washed out.

So there it is. It's not the host but the browser.

Also... Uploaded the pic to myspace and the pic was washed out in both browsers. I'm assuming myspace compresses files uploaded to their servers. I know they use to not do this unless the file was too large. Seems to effect all files now?

In any case thanks for the help :)

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
The images could be CMYK for some reason.

Go to Edit > Color Settings, and make sure the images are RGB.

I rekon that you are right, I have come across this before whereby a JPG would not open on a PC and changing the photos from CYMK to RGB and resaving them as JPGs' resolved the problem.

mantic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
AL
I rekon that you are right, I have come across this before whereby a JPG would not open on a PC and changing the photos from CYMK to RGB and resaving them as JPGs' resolved the problem.

All photos have been RGB.

I still haven't figured out how to convert aRGB to sRGB in CS3 perhaps that will solve all my problems?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.