Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does the volume level get noticeably quieter about a second after plugging in headphones?

• Total voters

danparker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
Hello,

I have a mid 2014 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display (with the discrete NVIDIA GPU).

A little backstory before I get beat on for asking such a seemingly trivial question: Since I first got the computer in November 2014, things haven't been working with it quite as expected. When I was updating it to El Capitan the whole computer finally failed. I spent a month shipping it back and forth for repairs at Apple. Turns out the logic board was faulty. Things seem to be working now after Apple replaced the logic board, but I have a nagging question in my mind about the headphone port. I'd like to make sure everything is working as it should before the warranty expires.

What I am wondering is: when you plug headphones into the headphone port while listening to music, does the volume level get noticeably quieter after about a second?

On my mid 2014 rMBP, whenever I am listening to music and plug in my headphones, the volume has always decreased by itself right after plugging in. The reason I think something might be wrong is because on my mid 2007 MBP the volume level stays the same after plugging in my headphones. And at maximum volume, the output on the 2014 rMBP is much quieter than the output on the 2007 MBP.

I don't have another rMBP to test this myself. Googling hasn't been useful. Thanks in advance for all replies.

(I don't believe the headphones are the issue because this doesn't happen on my other computer/devices, but I'm using the original wired Bowers & Wilkins P5 headphones in case someone can test with those.)

Aneef

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2015
Lahore, Pakistan
Hello,

What I am wondering is: when you plug headphones into the headphone port while listening to music, does the volume level get noticeably quieter after about a second?

On my mid 2014 rMBP, whenever I am listening to music and plug in my headphones, the volume has always decreased by itself right after plugging in. The reason I think something might be wrong is because on my mid 2007 MBP the volume level stays the same after plugging in my headphones. And at maximum volume, the output on the 2014 rMBP is much quieter than the output on the 2007 MBP.

I don't have another rMBP to test this myself. Googling hasn't been useful. Thanks in advance for all replies.

(I don't believe the headphones are the issue because this doesn't happen on my other computer/devices, but I'm using the original wired Bowers & Wilkins P5 headphones in case someone can test with those.)

I have a 15" rMBP mid 2014 with iGPU and I use Ultimate Ears UE6000 as my on-the-go headphones. I tested plugging in my headphones like u said at 80% volume, and I also noticed that when you plug headphones, the volume level (to my ears) gets a little less after about a second(but system volume level is still at 80%).

But this thing has never bothered me. And I'll suggest you to not lose your sleep over it. I have also tested the same with my Senheiser HD 800 and got the same result.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.