Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philipb91

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Hi all,

I have a 42mm Aluminum Space Gray black sport band watch ordered ($399)

The Nike 42mm Aluminum Space Grey (with special band that isn't going to be sold seperately apparently) is also $399..

My question is this.. Does it make sense to get the Nike AW since it's essentially the same AND it has the special software built in?

Am I missing anything here? Also with the Nike AW I don't have to use that Nike Face, I can use all the other ones that the regular/standard Apple faces that the 42mm Aluminum has?

I guess my thought is this.. if I'm set on aluminum / space gray, it makes sense to get the Nike band / capabilities.. since I can always get a regular black silicone band and essentially turn it into a "regular apple watch"

Right or wrong? Any help / direction is appreciated!!

ifarlow

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2015
Georgia
I'm considering the same switch. The Apple Watch Nike+ is identical in form and function to the Apple Watch Series 2 but it also includes the unique Nike+ band, the Nike+ watch faces, and the Nike Run Club app preinstalled. So, for the same price I can get the unique Nike+ band (which is really all I'm after) and if I want to I can purchase a regular black sport band as an accessory.

While the Nike+ band is not currently available as an accessory purchase, similar to the Hermès bands it might become one in the future.

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2010
That was exactly my thinking. I'm in the process or returning my sport and already bought the Nike+.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Maybe they are. But I bought some non-OEM bands a few months ago for less than $10 apiece and they were every bit as good as the originals. Even these, at $20, are worth trying out if you like the style and don't want to buy a new Nike+ Watch.

ifarlow

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2015
Georgia
While you and others may be perfectly happy with the quality of the knockoff sport bands, they are in no way as good as the official Apple bands. Of course, it all depends on what you are looking for as to whether the cheaper cost associated with the cheaper quality is worth it. For me, the knockoff sport bands are not anywhere close to being worth it.

trance.addict

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
While you and others may be perfectly happy with the quality of the knockoff sport bands, they are in no way as good as the official Apple bands. Of course, it all depends on what you are looking for as to whether the cheaper cost associated with the cheaper quality is worth it. For me, the knockoff sport bands are not anywhere close to being worth it.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I am interested in the Space Grey version and I was thinking of buying the Apple Nike+ Watch (Space Grey) and getting the band either from Apple or Amazon. I am not a runner but would like to start a healthy lifestyle.

If I stick with the regular version (Space Grey with Black Band), are there are any good apps that are similar to the Nike App? If so, I will just go with the regular version. I don't care for the Nike Band. It was the app that I was after. I want to place an order tonight but torn between the Nike or the Regular version.

Recommendations?

consultant_on_journey

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2016
Munich, Germany
I was thinking the exact same thing. I am interested in the Space Grey version and I was thinking of buying the Apple Nike+ Watch (Space Grey) and getting the band either from Apple or Amazon. I am not a runner but would like to start a healthy lifestyle.

If I stick with the regular version (Space Grey with Black Band), are there are any good apps that are similar to the Nike App? If so, I will just go with the regular version. I don't care for the Nike Band. It was the app that I was after. I want to place an order tonight but torn between the Nike or the Regular version.

Recommendations?
You also can use the nike app with regular watch

trance.addict

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016

Great! so apart from the watch faces and the bands, there is nothing different. Not a big fan of the band (although it makes sense for avid runners), I prefer the black band and could care less for the watch faces. I was initially planning on getting the Nike watch and then buying the regular band but I would much rather spend that $ on other after market bands.

trance.addict

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
You have some features integrated in Watch nike +
Like notifications/reminders and volt color
It is more integrated in the watch than just pre installed.

Thanks for your response. If your not an avid runner but one of the reasons for buying Apple Watch apart from all the other features is fitness/cardio, would you buy the Nike Space Grey watch and add the Black Sports band after or just buy the regular watch and install NRC?

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
Does anyone know if I can remove the NRC from the Nike version of the Watch or is it somehow permanently installed?

I am an avid runner and I really want the official Nike band, not a cheap knock-off. However, I do not see a need for the NRC app as I am fine with the default Workout App.

I already own the black sports band and the black leather loop with my AW S0, so I do not need to buy additional bands.

TxWatch

3lionsbecks

Suspended
Jul 19, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Does anyone know if I can remove the NRC from the Nike version of the Watch or is it somehow permanently installed?

I am an avid runner and I really want the official Nike band, not a cheap knock-off. However, I do not see a need for the NRC app as I am fine with the default Workout App.

I already own the black sports band and the black leather loop with my AW S0, so I do not need to buy additional bands.

TxWatch

You can turn off the NRC app (have it not appear on the watch) on the Nike+ watch.

Also, you don't have to have the NRC complication on the faces that you can fully customize excluding the Nike+ exclusive faces. Volt colouring is exclusive and useable on many of the other customizable faces not just the Nike+ ones.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'm not sure if you can remove the NRC app, but you don't have to use it if you don't want to.

The two Nike Watch faces have a NRC complication that you can't remove, but you don't have to use those faces if you don't want them.

All other watch faces behave like on any other Apple Watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.