Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndresJC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2015
Miami
If I update to the current public beta of iOS 10 right now, will I be able to update to the official release when it comes out without having to downgrade back to iOS 9?

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
No need to downgrade. The final beta (GM). Is the same, in most cases, as the public release.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No need to downgrade. The final beta (GM). Is the same, in most cases, as the public release.
I'm not really certain that the final beta is usually the GM that is the pubic release. Perhaps I'm off in my recollection, but I think that basically sometimes that's the case, but other times it's not. But, yes, in either case, there shouldn't be a need to downgrade.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
I recall a couple of times when the GM was not the same as the public release - I think it was iOS 4 and iOS 9.

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
You can always put the latest official release of iOS on your device, no matter what you run on it at the time. You can also unsubscribe from the beta programme at any time, so no particular inconveniences there.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
One of two things will happen.

1: GM and the official release are the same builds. - Nothing needs to be done by the user

2: Official release is a newer build and will just show up in Software Updates to install. - The user simply just has to update as usual

Nothing to worry about no matter the outcome.

Reactions: VSMacOne
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.