Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Based on everything. picture quality + video quality. the whole shabang

polythene pam

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2005
Florida
I was undecided about the Canon 870 (I don't know if your sd780 in the title is a typo) and the Lumix tz5 last summer -- ended up buying the canon. It takes great pictures but I do get the orbes some people mention in digital camera forums (like dpreview.com).

Anyways, I now regret my choice.

The lumix offers better quality (HD) video and more importantly, much more optical zoom. Those are features that I have missed in vacations I have taken since. It also seems that there are more manual functions in the lumix. But, it is a bulkier camera and some people might prefer the portability of the canon.

They are both good cameras, Canon has more recognition here in the US so people might be more prone to buying that brand. But the Lumix is an excellent camera and I might even trade my canon for the new lumix (tz7).

I do recommend the underwater housing -- it's a bit costly but so worth it! Protects your camera from rain, snow, ocean and the underwater pics and videos you can take are a lot of fun!

gook luck!

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I'd choose the TZ5 due to the video mode and the 10x (wide angle) lens.

The Canon is a little more compact, but the video and zoom are too much for the Elph to compete against.

Neither the TZ5 or 870is have manual controls, though.

If you want the newest, you might want to compare the SX200IS and the ZS3.

ft

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
The ZS1 and ZS3 do not have priority modes.

Which is why I suggested the Canon SX200IS. It has Av, Tv, M, and P modes. Plus it has a 720p movie mode and a 12x (wide-end) zoom. If the manual modes are important, then the SX200IS is the one to get. However, the ZS3 (and TZ5) have better movie modes in that you can use optical zoom while recording.

But then the ZS3 doesn't have the manual modes as you mentioned.

So it all depends on what the end user values most.

For me, if I ever ending up getting a new P&S, it'd be the Panny. If I need manual control, I'd grab my XSi. The better video mode is the clincher for me. Besides, my wife would be the main user of the P&S and she never uses the XSi out of the Fully Auto mode.

ft

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Which is why I suggested the Canon SX200IS. It has Av, Tv, M, and P modes. Plus it has a 720p movie mode and a 12x (wide-end) zoom. If the manual modes are important, then the SX200IS is the one to get. However, the ZS3 (and TZ5) have better movie modes in that you can use optical zoom while recording.

But then the ZS3 doesn't have the manual modes as you mentioned.

But you can get a used DSLR for that kind of money, hence the FX500, which also starts at 25mm.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
But you can get a used DSLR for that kind of money, hence the FX500, which also starts at 25mm.

Yeah, the FX500 seems like a good alternative to the models the OP was asking about. The 5x zoom is decent and the 25mm wide end is wider than the TZ5.

Also, I had mistakenly assumed the OP was asking about the 870IS. Turns out that Canon has a new 780IS. Go figure.

As for the SLR, it's kind of difficult to stick an SLR in your pockets. Which is what I'm assuming the OP wants since he mentioned two compact P&S's.

ft

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.