Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
What is the quickest way to decrease the size of a photo from say 2mb to less than 600 kb. I have been using graphic converter, but there has to be a better and faster way. Can it be done with preview or something?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Preview can do it by selecting Save As from the File menu. Some of the file formats that you can save it as, have sliders for the quality of the output and therefore the size of the image. Similarly, iPhoto can do this through the Export function. :)

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
You could create an Automator task. See screenshot:

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    107.2 KB · Views: 983
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 40,010

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Heb1228 said:
I like that... ::goes to play with Automator::
The power Automator is unlimited because you can link it up with AppleScripts I think, which AppleScripts you can link up with programs. I have 4 Finder Plug-ins (remember you can save them as Plug-ins). And I use them relatively a lot.

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
I've found Automator's image resizing ability to be rather poor. It produces files far larger than Photoshop Elements "save for web" function. I think Automator must default to maximum jpeg quality or something. I've been using an app called SmallImage and it does a pretty nice job.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
reh said:
I've found Automator's image resizing ability to be rather poor. It produces files far larger than Photoshop Elements "save for web" function. I think Automator must default to maximum jpeg quality or something.
Thats a definite possibility. I'm usually not worried about file size, but if I do need more control over that, I'd take it to Photoshop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.