Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smoovejayy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Of course most of us have been following all the negative feedback regarding the new MBPs and after about a month mine kicked the dust... I used it this morning normally, shut the lid, placed it in my bag. Late in the afternoon I opened it and it had no charge. I thought it was weird since it had enough juice but said whatever and plugged it in to charge. About 3 or 4% into charging, it shutoff while I was using it. After pressing the power button, it booted up with a gray screen, then I used it normally. After about 10 minutes, it still showed a 0% charge. I removed the USB C cable and it shut off instantly...

I changed USB C cables, power cables, power outlets and tried to reset SMC... nothing :( I am so disappointed that I am just returning this thing tomorrow... what a waste. I knew it could happen to me but after over a month of use I figured I got one of the better machines... guess not. Now I have to revert back to my 2012 MacBook Air... Thanks a lot Apple.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Bummer.... Maybe Apple can rescue it when you bring it in... If they can / do are you still done with it?

Smoovejayy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Bummer.... Maybe Apple can rescue it when you bring it in... If they can / do are you still done with it?
I think I am better off just saving my money until updated models are released with better batteries. I don't want to take the risk with another machine... My MBA isn't SO bad but everything just feels so archaic... haha.

Shame there are always lemons, duds bugs etc with any OEM lets hope it's sorted quickly for you :)
There have been too many lemons for this release...

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
That's what warranty is for. I find it ridiculous that people think it important enough to make a big deal of a trivial warranty case. Yes, dozens of thousands of those machines will fail within the first year. That is normal in the industry.

P.S. OP may want to read up on gamblers fallacy.

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
That's what warranty is for. I find it ridiculous that people think it important enough to make a big deal of a trivial warranty case. Yes, dozens of thousands of those machines will fail within the first year. That is normal in the industry.

I can't agree more.

There is no story there, just a faulty unit.

I had to repair the logicboard of my 2013 27' iMac. Wow, what a crappy product Apple launched 4 years ago !

Smoovejayy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012

I am not concerned about warranty as I am returning this anyway. I am concerned that Apple knew about these battery issues during testing and still decided to release these MacBook Pros. I guess in respect to me reading about these battery situations across the Internets, I am not too surprised this happened, just disappointed that I have to give up a great machine (IMO).
[doublepost=1483073526][/doublepost]
I can't agree more.

There is no story there, just a faulty unit.

I had to repair the logicboard of my 2013 27' iMac. Wow, what a crappy product Apple launched 4 years ago !
If I could replace the battery myself, I obviously would...

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I am not concerned about warranty as I am returning this anyway. I am concerned that Apple knew about these battery issues during testing and still decided to release these MacBook Pros. I guess in respect to me reading about these battery situations across the Internets, I am not too surprised this happened, just disappointed that I have to give up a great machine (IMO).

What battery issues? Your computer is clearly broken. Are you implying that every single MBP has a non-charging battery and that Apple "knows" about this? Or are you trying, in some very weird way, to connect your defective unit to the reports of mixed battery life on these laptops?

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
What battery issues? Your computer is clearly broken. Are you implying that every single MBP has a non-charging battery and that Apple "knows" about this? Or are you trying, in some very weird way, to connect your defective unit to the reports of mixed battery life on these laptops?

I'm getting very good battery life.

I suspect Apple knew perfectly well that they were selling me a clear upgrade over my 2015 rMBP, but I can't prove it.

All I can do is keeping making money with this thing!

R

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA

The real shame is OP denying him/herself of what is really a very nice computer just because of a single lemon. I haven't had a single technical issue with my 2016 MacBook Pro.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
The real shame is OP denying him/herself of what is really a very nice computer just because of a single lemon. I haven't had a single technical issue with my 2016 MacBook Pro.
The real shame is it happened, but that's life and it's never nice when it happens to you :)

It's a dud, lets not beat up on this when the chap/chapess is down :(

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I'm getting very good battery life.

I suspect Apple knew perfectly well that they were selling me a clear upgrade over my 2015 rMBP, but I can't prove it.

All I can do is keeping making money with this thing!

R

As a photographer you are making more money with a 2016 model over the 2015?

Trust me , everyday you are making a massive effort on MR proving that it's a clear upgrade )

OP : stuff happens , yeah a first gen product does have bugs, I own a 2012 rMBP , was not all smooth sailing, that thing had the worst wifi I've seen in a laptop, and it took apple over a year to resolve it, in this case you just got unlucky, the system failed.
[doublepost=1483076948][/doublepost]
The real shame is it happened, but that's life and it's never nice when it happens to you :)

It's a dud, lets not beat up on this when the chap/chapess is down :(

Agreed. I owned one for a month, and was a solid machine.

mcpryon2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
<snark> Please, please post when you go through the process of buying a house. </snark>

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
As a photographer you are making more money with a 2016 model over the 2015?

Trust me , everyday you are making a massive effort on MR proving that it's a clear upgrade )

OP : stuff happens , yeah a first gen product does have bugs, I own a 2012 rMBP , was not all smooth sailing, that thing had the worst wifi I've seen in a laptop, and it took apple over a year to resolve it, in this case you just got unlucky, the system failed.
[doublepost=1483076948][/doublepost]

Agreed. I owned one for a month, and was a solid machine.

The 2015 is a great machine. Even the late 2011 15" is a great machine. Never had a "bad" Apple, but each machine went through growing pains with me and certainly in forums. Good machines all.

But the newest model is nicer and when I have meetings and show work, it's best to have the newest Mac with best display.

R.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
The 2015 is a great machine. Even the late 2011 15" is a great machine. Never had a "bad" Apple, but each machine went through growing pains with me and certainly in forums. Good machines all.

But the newest model is nicer and when I have meetings and show work, it's best to have the newest Mac with best display.

R.

MacBooks have a rep for being great machines

Fair enough, that makes sense, as you are selling your services, and a new shiny Mac does help with that .

What are your thoughts on the screen brightness for photography work? Though i assume you do all your editing on a monitor .

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
MacBooks have a rep for being great machines

Fair enough, that makes sense, as you are selling your services, and a new shiny Mac does help with that .

What are your thoughts on the screen brightness for photography work? Though i assume you do all your editing on a monitor .

As someone correctly pointed out, calibration will not use all of the available brightness, but that only relates to color work. Once I'm done with working with the color, it's time to get into details where I'm cloning, painting and so on. That's when the extra bright display really helps.

The other aspect is working outside. The previous displays were always getting washed out. Hey, the sun is still brighter than these displays! But it's still a better experience when dealing with light you can't control.

Any serious photo work is done with 4K monitors, but I'll still do some basics at times on the small screen.

One thing I see is that if you kick up the brightness, battery drops FAST FAST FAST. So right now, with the display set very high at 2 clicks below max (because I was playing Bioshock!), battery shows 2:40 remaining on 53% charge. There's that 5 hour battery time reported by some.

R

Reactions: MH01

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
As someone correctly pointed out, calibration will not use all of the available brightness, but that only relates to color work. Once I'm done with working with the color, it's time to get into details where I'm cloning, painting and so on. That's when the extra bright display really helps.

The other aspect is working outside. The previous displays were always getting washed out. Hey, the sun is still brighter than these displays! But it's still a better experience when dealing with light you can't control.

Any serious photo work is done with 4K monitors, but I'll still do some basics at times on the small screen.

One thing I see is that if you kick up the brightness, battery drops FAST FAST FAST. So right now, with the display set very high at 2 clicks below max (because I was playing Bioshock!), battery shows 2:40 remaining on 53% charge. There's that 5 hour battery time reported by some.

R
Cheers for that.

Yeah that's is my experience exactly , when I had brightness set to high, the battery dropped fast. I could get really good battery life by reducing the screen brightness

ihatetoregister

Suspended
Sep 13, 2016
Oslo, Norway
As much as I hate my new MBP, OP I don't think you should consider what happened to you as the norm.
While rare it still happens to get something that doesn't work right out of the box, whether it's a computer or a display etc.

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007

Every single product have lemons, it happen.

What you have is 0% related to the "disappointing battery" that have been publicized. It's a malfunctionning unit that need a replacement.

End of story.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
Sorry to hear about your troubles... this issue of the machine not powering happened to me and is documented in other threads. I don't think it has anything to do with battery-life issues other people are describing. In fact it's not even clear to me the battery is the issue with this problem: it runs down because the MacBook does not accept charge (you may have been running on battery when you were plugged in and not realized it: that's what happened to me).

Apple replaced mine without any hassle -- so far so good, but obviously there is at least a batch of them with this problem. Hopefully only a batch... since it seems to crop-up after weeks of usage, I guess time will tell...

I don't feel it warrants giving up on the machine though. These things happen. One reason to go Apple is because they are good about swapping machines out. If it happens a second time, then I might reconsider... but I don't lump this in with people's "battery issues." My battery life has been excellent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.