Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

franzwald

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2021
Hello there!

I am totally new here and to cMP. I just got mine a few days ago and started 'playing' with it. It arrived with High Sierra 10.13.6 with the original GT120 in it. It worked fine. I updated to Mojave with a GTX 560Ti (although my screen was black the entire time during install). I've waited out, restarted the Mac and it booted succesfully (not with 570 tho but with the gt120). I have a Radeon R9 290X 4GB Sapphire brand. When i place it in the Mac after the chime, the screen goes black, monitor has a red light and says HDMI port has no signal. Strange thing to me is that the system boots succesfully into Mojave with the original GT120. According to other threads here and there, r9 290x should work out of the box with no boot screen. Just to make it clearer:

r9 290x is in pcie x16

connecting with HDMI to my monitor ( ASUS MG28U Ultra HD 4K ). I also have a Full HD benq monitor, but I couldnt try as I dont have a DVI adapter. Probably gonna buy one tomorrow but I think it is not the issue.

the card is powered by 2x mini 6pin to 6+2 pin cable from the motherboard (the card has 1x 6 + 1x8 pin which i connect both)

bootrom is the latest as far as I know: 144.0.0.0.0

system report sees my cumpoter as a 5.1 so the firmware is okay as well (should be).

Before the mojave install i upgraded the firware it asked for, so it should not be a problem.

Did i miss something?

I tried my GPU in my PC, it works flawlessly just like the monitor.

PS: i have a 7950 (not mac model) which is faulty. Lines appear on the screen when i a boot it ( in windows, but it works in terms of displaying stuff.) My Mac does the same thing with 7950 as well. Black screen, no signal. So the only card it boots with is the originial gt120.

First of all, forgive my english... I hope i could provide the info the way you understand it.

Please help me with it, as I couldn't find any info related to this elsewhere.

Thank you in advance!

EDIT:
I connected the 2 monitors at the same time and got these infos( see pic ):
Screenshot 2021-10-30 at 22.23.22.png

An other update: Now it boots only if I have installed both of the cards (gt120 + r9). It does not boot with the gt120 whereas it did until I put both of the cards in to see what's going on.. It is pretty confusing... Btw I install Mojave with dosdude1's ratchet.

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hello there!

I am totally new here and to cMP. I just got mine a few days ago and started 'playing' with it. It arrived with High Sierra 10.13.6 with the original GT120 in it. It worked fine. I updated to Mojave with a GTX 560Ti (although my screen was black the entire time during install). I've waited out, restarted the Mac and it booted succesfully (not with 570 tho but with the gt120). I have a Radeon R9 290X 4GB Sapphire brand. When i place it in the Mac after the chime, the screen goes black, monitor has a red light and says HDMI port has no signal. Strange thing to me is that the system boots succesfully into Mojave with the original GT120. According to other threads here and there, r9 290x should work out of the box with no boot screen. Just to make it clearer:

r9 290x is in pcie x16

connecting with HDMI to my monitor ( ASUS MG28U Ultra HD 4K ). I also have a Full HD benq monitor, but I couldnt try as I dont have a DVI adapter. Probably gonna buy one tomorrow but I think it is not the issue.

the card is powered by 2x mini 6pin to 6+2 pin cable from the motherboard (the card has 1x 6 + 1x8 pin which i connect both)

bootrom is the latest as far as I know: 144.0.0.0.0

system report sees my cumpoter as a 5.1 so the firmware is okay as well (should be).

Before the mojave install i upgraded the firware it asked for, so it should not be a problem.

Did i miss something?

I tried my GPU in my PC, it works flawlessly just like the monitor.

PS: i have a 7950 (not mac model) which is faulty. Lines appear on the screen when i a boot it ( in windows, but it works in terms of displaying stuff.) My Mac does the same thing with 7950 as well. Black screen, no signal. So the only card it boots with is the originial gt120.

First of all, forgive my english... I hope i could provide the info the way you understand it.

Please help me with it, as I couldn't find any info related to this elsewhere.

Thank you in advance!

EDIT:
I connected the 2 monitors at the same time and got these infos( see pic ):
View attachment 1884459

An other update: Now it boots only if I have installed both of the cards (gt120 + r9). It does not boot with the gt120 whereas it did until I put both of the cards in to see what's going on.. It is pretty confusing... Btw I install Mojave with dosdude1's ratchet.
You patched the OS, that’s the problem.

Install a clean Mojave, then your GPU should work.

franzwald

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2021
You patched the OS, that’s the problem.

Install a clean Mojave, then your GPU should work.
Thanks for the advice. I installed high sierra to see if the problem still occurs and it does. I clean installed it (wioed my drive, downloaded installer from app store). Although my gtx 560ti gets recognized and it works properly. Same issue with the r9 (recognized as display, says no kext loaded). What am I doing wrong..

And thanks again for the fast reply PXL_20211031_102540399.jpg

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks for the advice. I installed high sierra to see if the problem still occurs and it does. I clean installed it (wioed my drive, downloaded installer from app store). Although my gtx 560ti gets recognized and it works properly. Same issue with the r9 (recognized as display, says no kext loaded). What am I doing wrong..

And thanks again for the fast reply View attachment 1884966
OK, I see. You haven't done anything wrong. Apart from your GPU isn't 290X, but 290.

Device ID 67B1 (R9 290) is NOT supported.

The supported one with device ID 67B0 (that's the R9 290X).

Reactions: Hotwheeled

franzwald

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2021
OK, I see. You haven't done anything wrong. Apart from your GPU isn't 290X, but 290.

Device ID 67B1 (R9 290) is NOT supported.

The supported one with device ID 67B0 (that's the R9 290X).
Oh how true. I douboe checked rhe card and it is.. I am so dumb. Since then I got it to work with a 980Ti. Installed latest web and cuda drivers. Is it possible that the CPU bottlenecks the card? I have a 2017 5k imac wirh 580 8g and i play one specific game ( league of legends under mac os) on my imac i get about 100-150 fps. On cMP with no mater what settings i use i get 200-170 fps when the game starts. 20-30 sec later it drops to 50-90.. is it related to CPU or nvidia driver? I see videos on youtube ppl getting crazy values out of radeon VIIs and Vega 64s. So it shouldnt be the cpu. Any idea ?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Oh how true. I douboe checked rhe card and it is.. I am so dumb. Since then I got it to work with a 980Ti. Installed latest web and cuda drivers. Is it possible that the CPU bottlenecks the card? I have a 2017 5k imac wirh 580 8g and i play one specific game ( league of legends under mac os) on my imac i get about 100-150 fps. On cMP with no mater what settings i use i get 200-170 fps when the game starts. 20-30 sec later it drops to 50-90.. is it related to CPU or nvidia driver? I see videos on youtube ppl getting crazy values out of radeon VIIs and Vega 64s. So it shouldnt be the cpu. Any idea ?
CPU single thread performance is definitely one of the biggest limiting factor for gaming on the cMP.

I never play LOL, so don't know how CPU demanding it is.

But when you comparing gaming performance, API is very critical. The same game has Metal support may perform much better than the older version. Since Radeon VII cannot work in High Sierra. And 980Ti cannot work in Mojave. Therefore, you are 100% comparing the results from difference OS (which may use different API).

Also, the web driver is known very CPU single thread demanding. The 3D performance can increase linearly when upgrade to a faster CPU (e.g. from W3520 to W3690). On the other side, the Apple GPU driver (which for the supported AMD GPU) has quite a bit higher efficiency. So, I won't be too surprised that makes the Vega 64 perform so much better than the 980Ti under this specific situation.

For CUDA, I doubt any game in macOS will use CUDA. There is almost no Mac use Nvidia GPU now. Writing a game for Mac that need CUDA only means almost no one can play it.

franzwald

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2021
CPU single thread performance is definitely one of the biggest limiting factor for gaming on the cMP.

I never play LOL, so don't know how CPU demanding it is.

But when you comparing gaming performance, API is very critical. The same game has Metal support may perform much better than the older version. Since Radeon VII cannot work in High Sierra. And 980Ti cannot work in Mojave. Therefore, you are 100% comparing the results from difference OS (which may use different API).

Also, the web driver is known very CPU single thread demanding. The 3D performance can increase linearly when upgrade to a faster CPU (e.g. from W3520 to W3690). On the other side, the Apple GPU driver (which for the supported AMD GPU) has quite a bit higher efficiency. So, I won't be too surprised that makes the Vega 64 perform so much better than the 980Ti under this specific situation.

For CUDA, I doubt any game in macOS will use CUDA. There is almost no Mac use Nvidia GPU now. Writing a game for Mac that need CUDA only means almost no one can play it.

Yea and also there are some sluggish 'moments' when I double click a window to edpand it and is very laggy. I mean the animation. Probably the nvidia driver isnt optimised to its best as well.. probably. I am not that genius. But yeah gonna try with a 580 under mojave to see if it improves or not.

Thankas for your time again! You helped me a lot

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Yea and also there are some sluggish 'moments' when I double click a window to edpand it and is very laggy. I mean the animation. Probably the nvidia driver isnt optimised to its best as well.. probably. I am not that genius. But yeah gonna try with a 580 under mojave to see if it improves or not.

Thankas for your time again! You helped me a lot
IMO, the web driver is far from well optimised under macOS now.

I "upgraded" from GTX 1080Ti to RX580, and despite the 1080Ti is 2x stronger than the RX580, the RX580 actually provide smoother user experience in macOS (e.g. UI animation). Especially with Mojave, the cMP with an up to date AMD GPU (up to Radeon VII) works really smooth and stable.

franzwald

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2021
IMO, the web driver is far from well optimised under macOS now.

I "upgraded" from GTX 1080Ti to RX580, and despite the 1080Ti is 2x stronger than the RX580, the RX580 actually provide smoother user experience in macOS (e.g. UI animation). Especially with Mojave, the cMP with an up to date AMD GPU (up to Radeon VII) works really smooth and stable.
So you suggest to stay away from nvidia because radeon is much more supported with macOS?

Reactions: h9826790
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.