Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eternalpeasant

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
Reading Berkshire
Hi Guys,

I currently have a 7,1 that came with a 5500x mpx module, however instead of forking over £1000 for a 5700x module to Apple, I saw a few GPU's and by looking at the definite mac upgrade guide i see the Radeon VII being compatible as well. I purchased a Gigabyte Radeon VII which is arriving tomorrow but just wanted to check that it doesn't matter which manufacturer makes the card, the GPU would still be supported?

I'm also looking at picking up a workstation Radeon Pro W5700x but it's a HP model that's listed on eBay. Would this card work as well on the Mac Pro 7,1? I initially bought a powercolor Red Devil 6800XT 16GB GPU but it was too big to fit into my Mac Pro so decided maybe getting the other 2 GPU's might be a good option. I do editing on FCP and Resolve and also use the machine for development projects.

I've provided screenshots of the Radeon VII i've bought and the HP version of W5700X im thinking of getting, also because the workstation one is quite cheap i was thinking of picking up 2.
HP W5700X .png

HP W5700X Ports.png

Radeon VII.png

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
The VII's are being equal regardless of the manufacturer, and the logo in the little label somewhere on the card doesn't mean anything. I've got four VII's as of now, they come from at least three different manufacturers. They all look the same and act (almost) like the same. All tested in a Mac Pro 2009-2010.

eternalpeasant

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
Reading Berkshire
The VII's are being equal regardless of the manufacturer, and the logo in the little label somewhere on the card doesn't mean anything. I've got four VII's as of now, they come from at least three different manufacturers. They all look the same and act (almost) like the same. All tested in a Mac Pro 2009-2010.
Thank you for clarifying, i presume the same would be said for the W5700X as the workstation GPU all look the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.