Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmywong1111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
Hello everyone!

I have the Mac Pro Late 2013 model, I've upgraded my RAM sticks manually few months ago with RAM purchased from the Apple Online Store to 64GB.

I've discovered that when the Mac Pro is running at full load (CPU+GPU) for rendering, the system will crash and the beeping sound will occur, it tone's pattern indicates that the RAM does not pass a data integrity check according to Apple's support page (https://support.apple.com/en-hk/HT202768). This has happened to me twice, the second time happened just now.

The Mac Pro would be able to boot normally after the crash, I've checked the system through Apple Diagnostics and it has not detected any apparent problem. But I do believe this is a discrete problem that is occurring. The system is able to detect all RAM sticks after the initial installation few months ago.

Do I have to reseat my RAM in order to fix it or reseating is just a temporary fix?

May anyone help troubleshoot this problem or error? Thanks!

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Reseating will often be a permanent fix, even though it's not the only potential cause of failure. But it is the fix you should try first. It's quick, cheap, and easy. Don't skip over quick, cheap, and easy unless you have really, really excellent reasons to believe there's a different cause.

You have an intermittent failure. Mechanical connectors are really good at "intermittent." Bad solder joints (either on the RAM sockets or the sticks) can be intermittent as well, but they're far more likely to be go/no-go.

When it comes to logical troubleshooting, if you immediately switch back to the old RAM modules and everything works OK, then you've proven very little - the fault could still have been the connection, or the RAM modules. By first re-seating the new RAM modules, you can learn whether the problem returns (potentially bad RAM) or whether re-connecting solves it (poor connection).

Reactions: jimmywong1111

jimmywong1111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
Reseating will often be a permanent fix, even though it's not the only potential cause of failure. But it is the fix you should try first. It's quick, cheap, and easy. Don't skip over quick, cheap, and easy unless you have really, really excellent reasons to believe there's a different cause.

You have an intermittent failure. Mechanical connectors are really good at "intermittent." Bad solder joints (either on the RAM sockets or the sticks) can be intermittent as well, but they're far more likely to be go/no-go.

When it comes to logical troubleshooting, if you immediately switch back to the old RAM modules and everything works OK, then you've proven very little - the fault could still have been the connection, or the RAM modules. By first re-seating the new RAM modules, you can learn whether the problem returns (potentially bad RAM) or whether re-connecting solves it (poor connection).

Thank you for your reply! I've reseated my ram and a system stress test is undergoing. It's currently running and it seems to be running just fine. No system crash yet. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.