Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dell Computers and More

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
I recently tried upgrading my iBook g4 that had 256mbs of ram with a 1gb stick and these are the issues I've been experiencing. When the upgrade is installed it: doesn't start applications the first time, usually taking multiple tries, and Is constantly locking up to the screen, in which it says Hold the power button to shutdown. I think it is the ram slot being dirty but I don't know the best way to clean it, as there was never a stick in there before. The ram stick is New from amazon. It doesn't have any problems when the stick isn't in. But also from time to time the stick works normally. And it always detects the stick.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
I recently tried upgrading my iBook g4 that had 256mbs of ram with a 1gb stick and these are the issues I've been experiencing. When the upgrade is installed it: doesn't start applications the first time, usually taking multiple tries, and Is constantly locking up to the screen, in which it says Hold the power button to shutdown. I think it is the ram slot being dirty but I don't know the best way to clean it, as there was never a stick in there before. The ram stick is New from amazon. It doesn't have any problems when the stick isn't in. But also from time to time the stick works normally. And it always detects the stick.

It is possible the RAM is defective. I would try downloading the Apple Hardware Test iso suitable for your iBook from https://github.com/upekkha/AppleHardwareTest

(V2.5 will suit all iBook G4 models according to Mactracker)

Burn to disc and boot from the CD to drop into the Open firmware AHT interface, run the extended tests on the Memory and see what results you get.

If you get an error on the module then take a photo of the screen and submit a Return request with Amazon.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Also, PC-2700 SO-DIMMs will automatically downclock to PC-2100 spec in the pre-2005 model iBook G4s, and I recall these models being a bit picky with some PC-2700 SO-DIMMS, so if possible, go for a PC-2100 spec over the PC-2700, but maybe that’s just being cautious.

If anyone has had instability on this note, feel free to chime in.

Dell Computers and More

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Also, PC-2700 SO-DIMMs will automatically downclock to PC-2100 spec in the pre-2005 model iBook G4s, and I recall these models being a bit picky with some PC-2700 SO-DIMMS, so if possible, go for a PC-2100 spec over the PC-2700, but maybe that’s just being cautious.

If anyone has had instability on this note, feel free to chime in.
The listing I bought the ram from said it‘s pc 2100. And at times the ram fully works but I will run the test you sent and will try some cleaner.

Reactions: AphoticD
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.