Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
So my base model 13" MBP from 2009 is in the Apple Store this week getting a new 500 gb hard drive and a new hard drive cable. Long story short, I had several issues, and they're not charging me for these repairs. I still only have 2 gb of RAM, so I've been thinking about upgrading to 8 gb RAM and installing Mountain Lion to give my laptop some new life. SSDs are a little out of my price range for the storage capacity I need. I was maxing out my 160 gb drive before. Anyway, do those of you with knowledge have any recommendations for a particular brand of RAM? I was looking at a Crucial 8 gb kit for $69.99 in a store. I understand that's a pretty good price, but I'm shopping around to see if any better deals are out there. Basically I use my MBP for web surfing and word processing. I'm a senior history major. I do occasionally watch movies on DVD or from "other" sources. I don't game on my computer outside of solitaire. Thanks!

Last edited:

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I have the same 2009 13" MBP as you and I put 8 GB of Crucial ram in it when I first bought it back in July of 2009 and it has run great since. There are several good brands of ram that you'd be fine with but by looking around how much would you really save, $10 or $20 bucks tops.

I will tell you that your machine will feel a whole lot more responsive with 8GB vs the 2GB you have in there now. You will feel a big difference. I also have 10.8.3 Mountain Lion installed and VMware windows XP and Win7. It all runs very smooth.

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
I can attest that an 8GB upgrade on such a machine can make a difference. I just did that to my 2008 uMB from 4GB. It's now much more usable in most of my use cases!

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I have the same 2009 13" MBP as you and I put 8 GB of Crucial ram in it when I first bought it back in July of 2009 and it has run great since. There are several good brands of ram that you'd be fine with but by looking around how much would you really save, $10 or $20 bucks tops.

I will tell you that your machine will feel a whole lot more responsive with 8GB vs the 2GB you have in there now. You will feel a big difference. I also have 10.8.3 Mountain Lion installed and VMware windows XP and Win7. It all runs very smooth.

My one little concern is the 2.26 ghz core duo processor. Is 8 gb too much of an upgrade for that tiny of a processor?

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
My one little concern is the 2.26 ghz core duo processor. Is 8 gb too much of an upgrade for that tiny of a processor?

The processor will use 8 GB RAM with no problems. Aside from an SSD, that is one of the best upgrades you can make for an aging computer.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Successfully upgraded with a Crucial 8 gb kit. I don't notice a huge difference yet, but maybe upgrading the OS from Snow Leopard will show.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.