Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arcangel6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Wisconsin
Hi,

I am awaiting my new iMac 27" which should arrive this week. I already purchased 64 gb of the recommended RAM ( https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/2400DDR4S64S/ ). My question is,

OPTION 1: Does it matter if I install the RAM upgrade 'before' I turn on the computer for the first time?

OR

OPTION 2: Should I boot for the first time with the existing OEM RAM......then turn the machine off and install the upgrade RAM?

The configuration is posted below.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

-4.2GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz
-16GB 2400MHz DDR4
-1TB SSD

Lunder89

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Denmark
The only reason for doing option 2, is as a guarantee to you that the iMac is delivered to you in 100% functioning condition.

I am the cautious guy, and would therefore go with option 2. But that is because I know my brain will torture me if I replace the RAM first, and the computer then won't turn on :)

Reactions: willmtaylor

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I like option 2, for the same reason.
It's nice know that the system works fine, with the original RAM in place.
Then your only change would be the RAM.

Reactions: willmtaylor

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
OPTION 2: Should I boot for the first time with the existing OEM RAM......then turn the machine off and install the upgrade RAM?

No-brainer: start it up and check that everything seems to be working, screen is OK etc. before installing the new RAM.

-16GB 2400MHz DDR4

Why did you get your Mac with 16GB if you were planning on getting a 64GB (4x16GB) upgrade? - there are only 4 RAM slots, and 64GB needs all 4 so the Apple-fitted RAM will be going straight in the spares drawer...

arcangel6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Wisconsin
Why did you get your Mac with 16GB if you were planning on getting a 64GB (4x16GB) upgrade? - there are only 4 RAM slots, and 64GB needs all 4 so the Apple-fitted RAM will be going straight in the spares drawer...[/QUOTE]

I thought 16 G would be fine and ordered the computer.......then changed my mind several days later.
[doublepost=1504651618][/doublepost]Thank you for all the replies.

RUQRU

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2011
***WITSEC***
Add me to the list of those who added their additional RAM prior to the first bootup. If there is something wrong with the machine aside from the RAM that isn't going to change by adding memory.

I agree. Did it on my 2014 iMac too with zero problems.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I suggest you run the new iMac for at least one or even two weeks before upgrading the RAM.

You want to "burn it in", and make sure that if any problems arise, that they aren't due to your new RAM.

Just wondering -- what do you NEED all that RAM for?

Reactions: arcangel6

mpConroe

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2017
Arbroath (UK) / Wroclaw (PL)
I would go with option 2 too. I received my iMac on about 21 August and added new RAM now. I feel the difference only in video editing, computer does the tasks faster (like rendering). For video editing, 8GB it's not enough. I noticed that computer took about 15GB from 40GB when exporting a short, 45 sec clip. I'm going to do heavy projects soon and I will report how it performs.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
Add me to the list of those who added their additional RAM prior to the first bootup. If there is something wrong with the machine aside from the RAM that isn't going to change by adding memory.

Same here (following YOUR advice in another thread, brah ;) ).

And FYI to the OP... Apple has removed the old Start Up chime, so don't freak out if you don't hear it when you boot for the first time.

Last edited:

Crash0veride

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
Cincinnati
Why did you get your Mac with 16GB if you were planning on getting a 64GB (4x16GB) upgrade? - there are only 4 RAM slots, and 64GB needs all 4 so the Apple-fitted RAM will be going straight in the spares drawer...

Why the hell would you? (not trying to be a dick, but how I think about it in my head) That's apple's biggest ripoff. Apple charges $1200 for a 64gb RAM upgrade. You can buy your own for half that, pop open the back door on a 27'', and pop in the RAM. Plus you've got some backup RAM if it fails.

Last edited:

arcangel6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Wisconsin
Why the hell would you? (not trying to be a dick, but how I think about it in my head) That's apple's biggest ripoff. Apple charges $1200 for a 64gb RAM upgrade. You can buy your own for half that, pop open the back door on a 27'', and pop in the RAM. Plus you've got some backup RAM if it fails.

Yeah, I paid ~$600 USD for 64 GB from MacSales.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011

This is the expected result. If something were wrong with you RAM or your iMac it would not matter when you installed the RAM.

Ye gods! Is this what counts as rational reasoning these days? No sense whatsoever of thinking ahead or hedging against potential risks? Never asking "what if?"...

A small proportion of Macs, RAM upgrade - or any product - will be faulty or dead on arrival. More often than not you'll be lucky, but, unfortunately, getting a lemon is far from rare.

If you try the Mac first and there's a problem, any problem, then you know the fault is with the Mac as shipped with Apple, and it can go straight back to Apple as DOA - no diagnosis needed (or advisable) beyond "is it plugged in and switched on". You don't even have to break the seal on the new RAM!

If you try the Mac, find no problems, then add the RAM and immediately start finding problems then its more likely than not that either the new RAM was faulty or you fitted it wrong.

If, however, you fit the RAM first and there's a problem then the first thing you'll need to do is to take the RAM out again and replace the original to eliminate the new RAM as the source of the problem. Even if its a fault that clearly has nothing to do with the RAM - say a faulty screen or dead loudspeaker - you'll need to do that anyway before returning the machine. If you phone support and tell them you have third-party RAM then swapping out the RAM will be the first serious thing they ask you to do after the basic "turn it off and on again" stuff.

...and although changing the ram in a 5k iMac is pretty easy, its still a bit fiddly, with clips that could be broken, chips that could be zapped by static etc. Not something that you should be doing more often than necessary.

That is why you should boot without the new RAM first - unless anybody can come up with some technical reason why not booting until you have fitted the new RAM is better. So far, I just see people trying to rationalise their own impatience and lack of caution.

Now, if you're feeling lucky and want to be impatient when it comes to your own machine then fine. Worst case is you have some extra hassle - nobody's going to die. But going on the internet and recommending your course of action? Seriously, folks.

I suggest you run the new iMac for at least one or even two weeks before upgrading the RAM.

You are, of course, correct - although maybe a bit over-the-top if the machine is for domestic/personal use. Certainly any machine destined for any sort of "mission critical" role should ideally be tested for an extended period before being deployed... and then again after any major upgrade. Actually, this may be related to why Apple can get away with it's ridiculous RAM prices - business customers don't want the added work/cost of installing and testing third-party RAM, and one would hope that Apple test machines before shipping.

I can easily forgive users for not performing a 72 hour soak-test on their new, personal Mac before and after upgrading the RAM (mea culpa, for starters) - but at least starting it up and trying the basics before fitting the upgrade should be a no-brainer.

Reactions: artfossil

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
If you try the Mac first and there's a problem, any problem, then you know the fault is with the Mac as shipped with Apple, and it can go straight back to Apple as DOA - no diagnosis needed (or advisable) beyond "is it plugged in and switched on". You don't even have to break the seal on the new RAM!

Really, it's not a big deal either way. If you put the new RAM in and then start up and there is a problem that might be RAM-related, you swap it back for the stock RAM. Worst case scenario, you get a bad machine replaced and use the add-on RAM in the replacement.

Now, if you're feeling lucky and want to be impatient when it comes to your own machine then fine. Worst case is you have some extra hassle - nobody's going to die. But going on the internet and recommending your course of action? Seriously, folks.

I don't recall recommending users add the RAM before booting up for the first time. I just said that that is what I did and I see is no particular reason not to.

In the very rare event of a DOA iMac, you've added one extra step of swapping back in the stock RAM. The rest of the time you've saved a step. The OP installed first and had no problems.

I advise users to do what they feel is best. Really, it isn't anything worth arguing over.

Reactions: artfossil and tgara

youngchek

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2017
I'm newbies in iMac upgrade thingy. Would like to know, for iMac mid 2017, 27" 4.2GHz model, if I order from Apple with upgrade to 32GB RAM, what RAM config they give? 2x16GB or 4x8GB?

Appreciate someone can enlighten me.

PS: I need to order 32GB due to company's internal purchasing needs and upgrade to 64GB DI

Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.