Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amil218

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2021
Hey all, just got my new 2020 5k iMac yesterday and would like to add extra RAM as I currently have 8gb (2x4GB). I found someone on Offerup who is selling their OEM 2x4GB RAM that was from the same 2020 iMac as mine with 2667 frequency. Is it okay if I were to install 4x4GB RAM on my machine or do I have to install 2x8GB for maximum performance? I've read somewhere about dual channel or whatever, not computer savvy at all so if anyone can help confirm if adding 4x4GB ram on my 2020 iMac is okay or if iMac supports 2x8gb better.
Thank you!

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
4x4 is perfectly fine. 3 modules would be bad, 4 of different specs would require putting the modules in specific slots and might still incur some performance drop; 4x modules of the same spec - perfectly fine. As would be 2, but again you'd have to place them in the right slots to maintain dual-channel, which just means that the CPU can talk to two memory modules at the same time instead of just one (to simplify it quite a bit)

Note that you do not at all need to get or worry about OEM memory. Apple doesn't make memory, they get it from the same vendors everyone else does. As long as the specs match it'll work. Memory is quite standardised, so you just need to get memory that follows the same JEDEC specifications and it doesn't matter what brand or make it is.

Reactions: amil218 and njvm

amil218

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2021
Wow awesome! Thanks man! I am on my way of picking up the RAM right now. This person is selling it for $15 so why not ?

amil218

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2021
Cheers; Enjoy the extra memory :)
Hey man I installed the ram and turns out that the ram he sold me was from Micron and the one I have installed is from sk Hynix, so different brand but same configuration. I took a screen shot and can you help me if I am running on dual channel or not?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 8.04.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 8.04.47 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 120

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Looks like dual channel to me.
I agree.

The only requirement for dual channel is that sticks in channel A be the same size as sticks in channel B (and not necessarily the same brand). Which of course is the case since all sticks are 4GB.

Fortunately OP installed in order AABB, otherwise it would have dropped to 2133 MHz (but still in dual channel). (A quirk of the 2020 iMac).

TL;DR - OP you are good. Good deal for $15.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Hey man I installed the ram and turns out that the ram he sold me was from Micron and the one I have installed is from sk Hynix, so different brand but same configuration. I took a screen shot and can you help me if I am running on dual channel or not?

Thanks!
Looks perfectly fine, yep

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.