Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CipherBeta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2016
'Ello folks! Person who's used a PC for the past 10 years and now works with a iMac desktop where I work. That being said, I'm still warming up to using a Mac, so besides the general discomfort of a new OS, I also don't have a clue how Mac operates in the back end, and/or how to troubleshoot things that are going on.

That being said, some weird stuff started to happen recently - I've been scouring the internet for the past week without success, so I'm hoping posting here might shed some light on the situation. So this is what happens:

I jump on the computer first thing when I get to work, start up the Adobe Suite, and work for hours without a problem. I get up to take a break, and after a few minutes of inactivity, I hear a system sound, look over, and the console's up and feeding information through. I close out of it, go back to what I was doing on the other side of the room, hear another beep, walk back, and now the fonts window is open. So on and so forth, with different windows each time - and it only happens after 5-10 minutes of inactivity.

I'm not sure if this is some form of virus or malware (Bitdefender had found something a couple weeks back, but it supposedly nuked the problem from orbit) or something else going on in the computer. Little disconcerting because I can't figure out how to debug it, compared to Windows.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - just for security's sake and for peace of mind I'd really like to know what's going on here. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.