Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desmortum

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Greetings.

So I have a lot of video conferencing in Skype and Microsoft Teams, like many hours a day. I had 27'' 2017 iMac for six years and never had a single camera issue. In any OS from Sierra to latest it could run, which was Ventura. Recently I got new M2 Max Mac Studio which now runs Sonoma and Studio Display. And everything is perfectly great except camera.

So here's the problem: in both Skype and Microsoft Teams camera is freezing mid-call or not starting when call starts, quite rarely but regularly. It happens almost every day from one to around three times. So you can have three calls perfectly fine and then in fourth it will freeze randomly at some point or won't start.

The problem is never fatal, final or crashing anything. No app restarts or reboots needed. You just click camera icon in whatever app you use and then click it again and camera is fine for many hours again.

I tried rebooting display by unplugging it from power for a few minutes but issues persists still.

My biggest concern would be a hardware issue. So I guess the questions would be: is anybody else observing similar issues? Did you have them on previous OS with same hardware?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Recently I got new M2 Max Mac Studio which now runs Sonoma and Studio Display. And everything is perfectly great except camera.
Assume you have installed all the ASD firmware updates available w/ Sonoma?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Assume you have the latest versions of both Skype and Teams installed?

desmortum

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
I replaced monitor for a new one for other reason and having same issue, so FYI, seems like firmware of OS bug.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Weird. I've not seen the same behavior out of mine. I wonder if there's some kind of a software conflict specific to your machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.