Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dr.devious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Truckee Meadows, NV
IMG_1837.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

IMG_1889.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_2183.jpg

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
2 and 3 are your best ones- good focus, a good level of abstraction without being totally ambiguous, and good move with the black and white.

#1- flowers are boring. We've all seen that shot dozens of times before. Bring something different to the table or don't bother.

#4- I don't really know what you're taking a picture of. An incoming train? The convection currents distort any picture you're trying to get at that distance.

#5- interesting idea, I think it could be better composed though. Maybe arrange yourself so you can get a shot of the "real" engine car and the small engine car?

#6- the shallow DoF makes it hard to get what you want in focus. For example, since you're at an angle the first couple letters of "Electronic" are blurry. This in turn casts doubt on what you're trying to accomplish with the shot.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
2 and 3 are your best ones- good focus, a good level of abstraction without being totally ambiguous, and good move with the black and white.

#1- flowers are boring. We've all seen that shot dozens of times before. Bring something different to the table or don't bother.

#4- I don't really know what you're taking a picture of. An incoming train? The convection currents distort any picture you're trying to get at that distance.

#5- interesting idea, I think it could be better composed though. Maybe arrange yourself so you can get a shot of the "real" engine car and the small engine car?

#6- the shallow DoF makes it hard to get what you want in focus. For example, since you're at an angle the first couple letters of "Electronic" are blurry. This in turn casts doubt on what you're trying to accomplish with the shot.

It's interesting, from my point of view - that of an ignorant fool - I found the two trains, the big and the little one reasonably interesting, though the composition isn't quite right. Perhaps if everything was dead square and the flag more prominent it would have been better.

I agree that number one is dull as heck, but I don't think the composition of number 2 sits right and so I don't like it - number three is better in this regard.

I quite liked the one with the telegraph poles and the convection - for me this is a picture of the motif of the poles. It's not so bad.

The last picture doesn't do anything for me. It's 4, 3, 5 in that order.

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
My 2¢

1. OK, but nothing out of the ordinary. May work with some cropping if you really need a flower photo.

2. I really like the feel of this, B&W works well, the lighting is nice and has brought out a good tonal range to work with. This is the sort of photo I'd spend a while experimenting with crops, toning, effects etc.

3. Again B&W works for me, but the lighting isn't as kind to the subject and the tonal range isn't as useful. Would be worth another try at this subject with different angles / time of day etc though?

4. Nice idea, I think it needs more heat haze and personally I'd move to the left slightly to miss out the parked cars.

5. Like the concept, as others have said it needs experimenting with composition and maybe selective focus.

6. I like the lighting, the concept and the mood of this, but as others have said it needs much more depth of field.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.