Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yoandj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2021
I have a 2018 15" MBP which randomly shuts down or goes to sleep. When it shuts down it appears to Crash Stop and when trying to reboot it shows the System Low battery graphic.

IMG_5555.jpeg

When plugging in the mains plug and booting it shows the battery has plenty of charge (in excess of 50% charge). The machine shutsdown/crash stops once or twice a week but has only done so when running on battery power and has never had an issue when running on mains.

The issue has been there since December 2020 and doesn't seem to be related to any software or activity, and since its had SMC/NVRAM resets, been to the Genius Bar where the T2 firmware was reset, The SSD drive was erased and Big Sur reinstalled, Apple have replaced the mainboard and power button under Apple Care.

I have noted the battery capacity from within system report usually around 6,000mAh but I have caught a screenshot of it dipping to 2500mAh at times, although Apple tech seems to say its a software issue and not a battery issue.

Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 19.12.00.png

I have 2 months lasting on my Apple Care and I want the issue fixed before the end of the support. Any ideas anyone?

firelighter487

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2014
The Netherlands
can you install CoconutBattery and check what info that gives? that app is great and a lot more reliable than macOS's system profiler at reporting battery stats.

Yoandj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2021
I have coconut battery installed and the values are comparable

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.