Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jopiek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2014
Netherlands
For some reason I don't get accurate readings for beacons anymore in iOS 10.

Most of the time I get -1.0 for proximity and accuracy. Sometimes I get a reading that is not -1.0 but often it is not from the nearest beacon but a random one (using three beacons that have a distance of about 3 meters).

I still have an iPad on iOS 9 and it works great! I use Swift 3. On Stack Overflow I already saw someone else struggling with this too (using Objective C). Issue is the same for iPhone 6, iPod Touch, and iPad Air with iOS 10.

Are there more people that have the same issues? Or might it be something else?

dantastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
Seen issues in iOS10 where the advertising interval of the beacon is set too high. something like 200ms should work on both 9 & 10 but much higher and we found that iOS10 was not picking up beacons iOS9 reliably was.

jopiek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2014
Netherlands
Interesting! Thanks for that insight dantastic!

B.t.w. I just resolved my issues also in an interesting way: before I could deploy it on my wife's 9.3.5 iPad I needed to set the iOS Deployment Target to 9.3 of course. That also solved it on the iOS 6 devices for some reason. I'll also have a look at my Beacon script then and try to set it lower and test the result, I make the Beacons myself (using a Bluegiga SoC BLE113 at this point, but looking into the BLE 4.2 SoC from Atmel too).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.