Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrwMDvs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
I just have to rant a bit. I'm in a lab setting at a university with 11 Intel iMacs. Throughout the years and as MacOS changes, Apple's default for the Mighty Mouse is to only left click. Meaning the user would, by default, have to change their system preferences to allow for the mouse to right click or resort to having to hold 'control' + click to perform the right click. Which isn't always intuitive. Our users are wiped weekly via a script.

I have tried in the past to set a user preferences file in the Library > User Template > English.lproj > Library > Preferences folder, but it doesn't seem to stick for long. Even if I set the permissions correctly (644, root:wheel)

I guess I could use JAMF to try to build a configuration profile or set a package for installation each time a new user logs in. But it's also been flaky in the past.

I'm on the brink of just buying cheap PC mice to simplify it all. BUT overall, Apple is wrong and the default on these mighty mice should be right click.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.