Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amcneice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
I've tried for the last three days to get lightroom (or any application) to open the raw files from my 1000D.

In photoshop: I get the file not supported error.
In bridge : the files show up with no thumbnail
In lightroom: It will not import the files
In DNG converter: Will not work
In Aperture: I get the red screen with invalid photo format (I think that's the error)

I've tried google and searching the forums but I still can't get anything to work. I do not have access to my canon cd as I'm in another country and will be for a bit longer.

Any ideas on what I can do to make all of this play nice so I can actually edit my use my raw files for post-processing?

Thanks!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
How do you copy those RAW files from your 1000D to your Mac?

Do you use EOS Utility or an external SD card reader?

Also what file extensions do the RAW files use?

If you use the Canon tools you got with your camera, can Digital Photo Professional read those files?

Also do you have the Camera RAW Plugin from Adobe installed, which will probably the main cause?

amcneice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
How do you copy those RAW files from your 1000D to your Mac?

Do you use EOS Utility or an external SD card reader?

Also what file extensions do the RAW files use?

If you use the Canon tools you got with your camera, can Digital Photo Professional read those files?

Also do you have the Camera RAW Plugin from Adobe installed, which will probably the main cause?

1. Via camera's usb, card reader is in the other country with all of the canon software. None of the canon software is installed on the macbook as a fresh install of OSX was done a few days before I left and I forgot to add the canon software.

2. .cr2 file extension

3. I installed the 5.4 update per in the instructions on adobes website.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
That seems a bit odd. If it's a CR2 file and you've updated to the latest camera RAW...

I guess I'd put the camera software on and give that a try. Perhaps it was a bad install of CS4, although I'm not entirely sure why or if that would happen.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
have you run Adobe updater? Apple software update? all of those programs support that camera.

amcneice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
have you run Adobe updater? Apple software update? all of those programs support that camera.

Workflow that throws errors:

Tried uninstalling with the installer and appzapper. Reinstall and still get the same errors. Has happened with just Raw as well as Raw+jpeg files.

No card reader down here but could pulling them from the camera be the problem. Lightroom won't yank the cr2 files off, aperture will but then it has issues trying to work with them.

CodeRaven

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2008
Florida
I went over to Adobe's website and it seems like some of the people that were having the same type of errors that you are receiving, were downloading from the camera to the computer. When they tried using a card reader, everything was fine then.... Sounds odd, but maybe you should try a card reader and see if that works for you?

zuma022

macrumors regular
May 18, 2008
^^^ I second this. I have an XSi and when I decided to start shooting in RAW I had the same problems. The files are corrupt and for some reason it seems to happen mostly when you connect the camera directly to the computer via USB.
What I found working for me is to connect the USB directly, don't use any hubs (unless powered I guess, didn't try though). Reboot also helps. And if you get a corrupt batch, just try again.
Longterm a card reader is absolutely worth it. I'm not using the Canon software I just use LR to import.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.