Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Lately Im getting to the point where I dont know what to do with my pictures.
I do all my editing in Aperture. I used to export from Aperture to a "Windows My Pictures" type folder with different categories and so on.
Lately I have just been keeping my pictures in Aperture. Is that my safest move since Aperture has the "non destructive editing"?
Recently I have come across some pics I edited back in the day and want to "redo" but since I exported it from Aperture AND erased the original file from Aperture Im stuck with only the crap JPEG I exported from the original RAW.

I guess Im just looking for some file management tips..
Up until a week or so ago I used Aperture only to edit but now Im thinking I should use it as a photo management system as well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Captpegleg

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
IMO, if Aperture is anything, it is a photo management system. At least that is the way I use it. I use it for some light editing and CNX2 for more intense editing.

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
I pretty much did what you did, but now I am using it as management software aswell, although not quite as visually appealing as iPhoto I find it to be much more superior.

Assuming your using Time Machine you have those back ups, but if you set up a series of "vaults" on external media you back up your aperture library photos exclusively on them.

Hope this helps

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Thanks guys!
Yea I guess Im just going to start using Aperture more for management.

Im just confused about do I make separate "projects" in Aperture to organize stuff, macro, landscape, flowers, bugs...?? Or is that what the "Vault" is for?
I never used the vault. I didnt really understand it.

Could you guys throw up some screen shots of your aperture "Index" (whatever you wanna call the column on the left)

Right now mine looks kinda jacked up

two pics.
1. current Aperture index
2. how I was organizing pics prior to wanting to use Aperture (Windows My Pictures type organization)

Thanks again guys!

Attachments

• aperture.png
    aperture.png
    40 KB · Views: 61
  • pictures.png
    pictures.png
    120.6 KB · Views: 68

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
I've moved to Lightroom for editing, export to iPhoto for jpg management (I don't use iPhoto for RAW development or any adjustments outside of cropping if needed for a print or book), and keep the RAW originals managed in Lightroom. But, if I was using Aperture (which I've used in the past), I'd seriously consider managing it all right in Aperture.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
I've moved to Lightroom for editing, export to iPhoto for jpg management (I don't use iPhoto for RAW development or any adjustments outside of cropping if needed for a print or book), and keep the RAW originals managed in Lightroom. But, if I was using Aperture (which I've used in the past), I'd seriously consider managing it all right in Aperture.

Thank you!
I think Im going to move everything over to Aperture. (yikes!)

What is the "vault" feature in Aperture?

MichaelBarry

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2009
London
What is the "vault" feature in Aperture?

It is an exact copy of your aperture library basically.

If anything happens to the library, just restore it from the vault and you'll have your exact library back (with all the adjustments, masters, etc.)

(as long as you updated the vault recently)

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
you can also store a number of vaults on any internal or external rives and update them simultaneously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.