Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Adds support for:

- Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
- Canon EOS 7D
- Canon Powershot G11 (YAY!)
- Nikon D3s
- Nikon D300s
- Nikon D3000

Go get it!

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I'm really surprised that this didn't also include support for the S90 which has the same sensor as the G11. Anyone know why?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

Attachments

• rawupdate.jpg
    rawupdate.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 86

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Does it add sRAW? Not by the looks of it.

Dear Apple. ADD SRAW TO YOUR LIST! And throw us a bone on the next Aperture, cause I'm jumping ship to LR3 when it's out unless you give me reason to stay. A hint of a release date/features is enough!

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Still no supports for my Lumix GF1

Heck my EP-1 is four months older and still waiting for support from Apple - and don't get me started on the July and September releases of the Panasonic LX 3 and Leica D-Lux 4 cameras way back in 2008!!!!!!! Yet they gave support to BOTH of the Epson R series RF cameras!

At this point Apple needs to be up front and honest about why some cameras get early support and others don't. I would say that in the over the year that the LX3 and D-Lux 4 have been out - they have sold more units combined than the G11 has so far since the G11 came out four months ago!

If Apple needs us to get on the manufactures case - then tell us. Obviously there is something afoot. And no one is talking... :( I get a lot of buck passing when dealing with Apple and the camera manufactures sadly.

gooch

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2007

Dear Apple. ADD SRAW TO YOUR LIST! And throw us a bone on the next Aperture, cause I'm jumping ship to LR3 when it's out unless you give me reason to stay. A hint of a release date/features is enough!

Unfortunately, this is not an apple issue. I was speaking with a Canon rep at a recent camera review seminar and we discussed s-Raw compatibility. Because this is a Canon proprietary format, they (Canon) have opted not to give ISV and Software vendors (3rd party) any code to support it. Only Canon software will support this s-RAW. This is also the case for noise filtering algorithms. Canon only opted to release the essential noise filtration base conversions for their specific RAW files. However, Apple, Adobe, etc. have to create their own Noise conversion tools for the RAW. When you process a 5D MkII RAW with lots of noise, the noise processor in Canon tools do a better job because of their proprietary algorithm to deal with noise on computer software the same way it is dealt with in the camera processor software in camera when dealing with JPEG noise reduction.

G

gooch

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2007
Aperture X really close now...

So, I do have it on good authority from a member of the Aperture professionals advisory board that indeed Aperture X is coming sooner rather than later ( I know the date...just cant say anything). Thats all I'll say for now because he entrusted me with all kinds of fascinating information about the new Aperture. YOU WILL ALL BE SUPER HAPPY.

Lets just say the last time Apple made an aperture release, Apple and Aperture were not prepared at the time to support the latest high end pro camera (1DMK3). Note that this recent RAW compatibility includes 1DMK4 support prior to the next pro app release, which is needed to support RAW viewing in the apple viewer sub system. Now Apple is positioned to release the next version of Aperture with this latest RAW release and not get the backlash they got for the previous RAW compat issue they had. The dependency has been on Canon to release their Canon 1DMK4 RAW compiler to the dev team for testing and integration. This has been going on for the last month or so. Hint Hint :)

G

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008

I wholeheartedly concur.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
Great catch but I don't know about the strange Aperture X rumor on the posts above this, while I hope it comes out soon, I've been let down by Apple before (actually multiple times before). They'll release it when it's done and considering it will have most likely at the minimum of updates have 64 bit support natively, it means they are re-writing the entire freaking program and who knows how long that will take them. They couldn't even re-code itunes for snow leopard's release, possibly the most helpful program to re-code of the entire set of applications that come with the system.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
They'll release it when it's done and considering it will have most likely at the minimum of updates have 64 bit support natively, it means they are re-writing the entire freaking program and who knows how long that will take them.

No, you don't need to re-write the entire program, you need to go through the code and make sure all your pointers are treated as pointers (they need to go into longs instead of ints) or wrapped in 32/64-bit macros, that all your casts are of the right length and that you're not treating any 64-bit values as 32-bit signed ones. Since a long is 32-bits on a 32-bit system and 64-bits on a 64-bit one you don't have to wrapper much.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
When I run Software Update, I can't get it to recognize that I need the RAW 2.7 update. I've also searched for the update on Apple's Downloads Support site...and can't find it there either.

Does anyone have any ideas? I really want to process RAW images from my 7D!

Thanks,
Bryan

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
For some reason, I think Apple is really looking at the new Tablet as being a perfect companion for the photographer. With a possible release of the tablet sooner than later...and Aperture X being an inevitable release, if Apple wants to attempt keeping pace with Adobe...the two may go hand in hand (Aperture and the Tablet).

For me, having a tablet in the field with long battery life, plenty of storage, and the ability to off-load and edit quickly and efficiently in a compact package...with an excellent display:) Would be priceless.

As prominent as digital photography has become...I think Apple has devoted some time/effort/money to Aperture this time around...and if they can blend or mold it with a reasonably priced hardware package, we may see a new and improved way of editing digital photography (and hopefully video as processor become faster and more heat efficient).

My hope (dream) anyway! As much as I love my iPhone, I still have to have my MacBook Pros in the field...and they are a couple generations old now:) No 7 hour battery life for me!

J

neuroMadness

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2009
After installing the update the option to open images in Adobe Camera Raw using Adobe Bridge CS3 is greyed out.

Is there anyone else with this problem? Any workarounds?

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
After installing the update the option to open images in Adobe Camera Raw using Adobe Bridge CS3 is greyed out.

Is there anyone else with this problem? Any workarounds?
Apple (iPhoto, Aperture, Preview) uses the OS X raw converter in their apps.

Adobe rolls their own raw converter with Adobe Camera Raw (ACR). Unfortunately, they stop porting updates back to the older CS3 version after the CS4 version comes out.

You'll either need to update to CS4 or do the DNG manually (e.g. outside of Bridge) with their free Adobe DNG Converter product (link).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.