Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Hi,

I am hoping someone here shoots RAW and has an iPod Touch. :D

I've got an old 3G iPod, and I've used it occasionally as a backup storage device for my D70 - like when I'm on vacation and don't have a laptop handy. Now I know if you do this with any of the newer iPods and the iPod Camera Connector, supposedly with jpeg images you can actually look at the photos you're storing there - but not RAW images. However since the iPod Touch is running OS X, I was curious whether that meant you can browse any RAW photos that you'd backed up onto the Touch.

Note that I'm not talking about synching your photos from your computer - I'm specifically referring to using the Touch with the iPod Camera Connector in the field for clearing off your camera's memory card(s).

Thanks! This is mainly just curiosity. I will be replacing my 3G soon, since it's been on its last legs for the past year... *cough* *cough*

bcavanau

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2006
Troy, MI
The iPhone (which I have) and the Touch are believed to be the same software, and very similar hardware.

The iPhone does not support the camera connector, so I would guess neither would the Touch.

Future compatibility has been hinted at...but that could be a long time, if ever.

Sorry for the bad news.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
The iPhone (which I have) and the Touch are believed to be the same software, and very similar hardware.

The iPhone does not support the camera connector, so I would guess neither would the Touch.

Future compatibility has been hinted at...but that could be a long time, if ever.

Sorry for the bad news.

Thanks for the information. It's not that big a deal - but I was curious.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
Allow me to resurrect this for a moment... this is one of those times where I google something and I'm taken once again back to this forum.

I just bought a last-gen used iPod Touch, 32 GB, and I was hoping it would read RAW files (Canon CR2) so it could serve as a backup. Doesn't seem to though. Guess not...?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
The iPhone/iPod touch run OSX, not Mac OSX. There are many libraries not on the mobile platform and RAW decoding is one of them...

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
The iPhone/iPod touch run OSX, not Mac OSX. There are many libraries not on the mobile platform and RAW decoding is one of them...

The OP wasn't talking about viewing the files on the iPhone/iPod touch just using it for storage.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
The OP wasn't talking about viewing the files on the iPhone/iPod touch just using it for storage.

I disagree. He specifically states " I was curious whether that meant you can browse any RAW photos that you'd backed up onto the Touch". That says viewing to me.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
This was an old thread...

But yeah, when I posted that I was talking specifically about viewing them. With the other/older iPods, you could back up RAW files onto the iPod, but (unlike with JPEGs) you couldn't see the photos.

However the iPod Touch doesn't support disk mode, and doesn't support any sort of camera connector at this time - so the question is moot.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
It would be possible to write an app that allowed backups via WiFi grips and the like, but it wouldn't auto-sync with Aperture/iPhoto. Unfortunately the SDK does not allow access to the dock connector so any sort of generic USB solution is out unless Apple chooses to implement it.

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
You could probably use an App like AirShare or similar to copy files to the iPod Touch, but you probably wouldn't be able to use the Touch as a viewer.

Not having the "Disk Mode" feature, it makes it inconvenient for use as a storage medium.

Naim135

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
St Helens UK
Wasted Opportunity

I agree it is a shame that neither the Touch nor the Classic support the Camera Connector. A big Touch with a hard drive would cleanup the Photo viewer market overnight so come on Apple you know it makes sense:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.