Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
I shoot RAW + JPEG (Large/Fine) on my D700. While, Aperture does not yet support the D700 RAW files, I would expect that it would import the JPEGs as well and that I'd be able to use those within Aperture. However, this doesn't seem to be the case. When I import the files, I see just one file per photo and the image format is unsupported (so I assume that this is the RAW file).

Contrast this with imports that I made with the Canon 5D when shooting RAW+JPEG - I'd get two versions of each file imported - one RAW, labeled CR2 and the out-of-camera JPEG next to it.

My question is, why can't I see the JPEG files? It is the case in Aperture that if a RAW format is not supported, then it won't properly handle the JPEGs either? (which wouldn't make sense).

iPhoto, interestingly has no problem importing the JPEGs. It also doesn't recognize the RAW and doesn't import those files.

Right now, my workaround is LR2 - which imports both the NEF RAW files and the JPEGs and supports the RAW output of the D700 as well. But one of the reasons that I moved to Aperture from LR to begin with was the excellent integration and freedom within the program. For my purposes, I can wait for the RAW support for a bit in Aperture and use LR where needed, but I'd like to at least be able to use the JPEGs in Aperture pending RAW support.

Any help from folks re: why I can't see the JPEG files in Aperture / how to "fix" this issue (if indeed there is a fix) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
My guess is that the jpegs are embedded somewhere in the raw file and since it cant read the d700 raw format then it cant pull the jpeg out. With the 5D it has no problem stripping the jpeg from the CR2 and putting it right next to it.

You are correct if the program doesnt support the RAW format then it wont know where to look for the Jpeg file inside the raw and the jpegs arent saved side by side on the memory card next to the NEF file.

As far as iphoto goes I'm almost positive its because OSX has been updated to support the D700 raw wise but for what ever reason Aperture doesnt use the OSX raw engine to process raw files thus you have to wait for an Aperture update to support the D700.

Have you tried using LR to convert the NEF to dng and use Aperture to import the DNG format?

Beyond that its just a waiting game for Apple to release d700 raw support into Aperture.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
You can tweak OS X so it recognizes and processes the RAW files of the D700. The software mentioned is not needed, OS X has a built-in plist editor.

This way, Aperture can process your files directly, there is no need for RAW+JPG.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
You can tweak OS X so it recognizes and processes the RAW files of the D700. The software mentioned is not needed, OS X has a built-in plist editor.

This way, Aperture can process your files directly, there is no need for RAW+JPG.

Thanks Oreo, I saw something about that on DPReview but had not taken the plunge (waiting hopefully for an update) but I may. The post above may have it re: why the JPEG isn't coming out but that would be a bit odd since iPhoto can find and extract the JPEG versions of the files. How frustrating is it to have iPhoto find those when Aperture can't? Pretty frustrating.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
My guess is that the jpegs are embedded somewhere in the raw file and since it cant read the d700 raw format then it cant pull the jpeg out..

It would be very easy to test this theory. Just put the memory card in a card reader, look at it using Finder and see if there are normal stand-alone JPG files on it.

If the JPG files are there then import to Aperture is easy

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
It would be very easy to test this theory. Just put the memory card in a card reader, look at it using Finder and see if there are normal stand-alone JPG files on it.

If the JPG files are there then import to Aperture is easy

Chris - yes, I should have mentioned - iPhoto can find the JPEGs easily because they are stand alone files. If you open the CF card image there are the JPEGs with previews and the unsupported RAW files listed separately. I suppose that I could move the JPEG files into a separate folder and then point to that for the Aperture import.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Hang on I thought OSX, Aperture, iPhoto and Preview all used the same RAW engine?

It's not that iPhoto can do anything with the RAW, it's just that iPhoto is identifying the JPEGs and importing those and Aperture apparently isn't able to import the JPEGs for some reason (although as I noted above, it has worked fine for other 5D for a RAW+JPEG import).

Ronald M

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
How to get D700 Raw + jpeg to work

Select the non-displayed images in the browser. Go to Images:New version from Master jpeg. This will create useable versions/thumbnails/previews. When the RAW decoder for the D700 is released, then select them again, delete the versions, and create new versions. While you're at it at that point, you may also want to delete the jpegs that came from the D700 in the first place since the RAW's will be working fine. I had to to this when I got the D300 in advance of it being supported for RAW.

This is covered to some degree on page 165 of the manual.

Also to some degree here http://www.flickr.com/groups/aperture_users/discuss/72157605127130194/

though there is possibly some incorrect/misleading information.

Hope this helps/works.

safarisound

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2009
Having major troubles with the SRAW2 files opening in Aperture-

Can somebody please tell me why the developers of these various programs get don't together to make a UNIVERSAL F@#$ING FORMAT for all the files to be viewed under (rhetorical- of course) ? Money makes the world go round.

I swear- I can't view cr2 files in CS3 without downloading a DNG converter. - Even then, I still can't open the DNG files in Bridge. I thought- nice- I'll switch to the latest version of Aperture so I can do the bulk of my edit/weed out all in aperture, but no. It can open CR2-RAW FILES, BUT NOT SRAW2 files.

Tried work a rounds:) for each. Feel like I'm doing everything but actually editing my photos.

Most important question. - Can somebody please just tell me why I can't open the SRAW2 files in Aperture? If you can answer that, I will not lose faith. Right now I'm ready to jump out the window.

Hardware: Canon, 5d mark II
Soft: Aperture V2.
Soft: CS3
Soft: Bridge

All have been updated- Still no luck.

Arrian.
:)

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
PS/Bridge CS3 won't touch 5D2 RAW files because Adobe want you to go and buy CS4 with the newer version of Camera RAW. Its just downright cheeky.

As for SRAW2, dunno. It is a bit of a weird Canon format, and I'm expecting it isn't high on the priority list as most people will simply shoot full CR2.

Only bet is Canon's DPP.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Hmm, I don't know Aperture doesn't support D700 RAW, it has been quite a while, and D700 is a popular DSLR, I'm sure Apple supports its RAW. My only question now is if it supports RAW+JPEG, there are known issues that with some cameras, Aperture cannot import properly, and I read somewhere that ppl say it has something to do with how Aperture work to import the files and how a RAW+JPEG files are saved which are ruining how it works. If I recall people have no problem getting the JPEG in while the RAW usually won't work (If shoot in RAW+JPEG format, no problems if saved the format in either JPEG or RAW).

Oh and the SRAW2 format is a known problem to Aperture users, as far as I can recall, part of the reason why it is not supported cuz SRAW is different then the full sized RAW format, so it will take Apple awhile to fix this.

Finally, I am pretty sure that Aperture and iPhoto uses the same RAW convertor, if you download the latest RAW update from Apple, it will list support for both iPhoto and Aperture :)

Now, regarding Aperture 3, one of those featured list that people want is for Aperture able to use other engine (besides Apple) to render RAW files, like using Nikon/Canon RAW convertor. Not sure if its possible to do or not :| (but it will be a great feature if it did cuz I heard that Nikon RAW convertor is like the best convertor you can get for Nikon RAW format)

Bezbozny

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2009
Aperture imports both but the jpeg files are hidden 'behind' the raw. If you will use a smart folder or search by using a filter that will show you only the jpeg then you will find them. But because of this odd behavior it is better to just import all the files in a folder in the finder and then from there to aperture. Like this you will see them separated.

Bezbozny.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.