Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John T

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
At the moment I am using Photoshop CS. I've recently upgraded to the Canon 30D. Lo and behold PS CS doesn't support RAW images from the 30D! I understand I should either upgrade to Photoshop CS2 or buy PS Elements. I don't want to lay out any more cash for the moment for CS2 and I've always looked on Elements as a bit of a "toy".

I'm sure others have had a similar problem - what did you do? Any suggestions??

Laser

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2005
John T said:
At the moment I am using Photoshop CS. I've recently upgraded to the Canon 30D. Lo and behold PS CS doesn't support RAW images from the 30D! I understand I should either upgrade to Photoshop CS2 or buy PS Elements. I don't want to lay out any more cash for the moment for CS2 and I've always looked on Elements as a bit of a "toy".

You could download Lightroom for now while it's still in free beta.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
John T said:

Didn't the 30D come with software for converting RAW files? Use that then import the TIFF files to CS.

I'm curious. I've been wanting to ask a CS user what is missing in elements that they would use. What features do you find lacking in Elements? Yes I know what's missing but I'm wondering which of them you miss.

John T

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Hi Chris,

ChrisA said:
Didn't the 30D come with software for converting RAW files? Use that then import the TIFF files to CS.
Yes I've done that but as I am so used to working with the RAW converter in CS I believe the Canon DPP way was more cumbersome.

I'm curious. I've been wanting to ask a CS user what is missing in elements that they would use. What features do you find lacking in Elements? Yes I know what's missing but I'm wondering which of them you miss.

I must admit the last time I used Elements was version 2 on my old PC! However, from memory, Photoshop 6 (as it was in those days - all of 4 years ago!!!) just had so much more of everything. Having said that, I understand the Mac version is now 4.0 and has been improved somewhat.

John.

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 107

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
ChrisA said:

Does it not come with Digital Photo Professional like the 20D did, as that handles Raw images.

John T

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
simie said:
Does it not come with Digital Photo Professional like the 20D did, as that handles Raw images.
If you're referring to Elements, no it doesn't :(

clintob

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
New York, NY
Download Adobe Lightroom for free... it's still in Beta, and probably will be for a little while. It's a great tool for editing and organizing, and you can still export to Photoshop to do heavier editing and retouching if need be.

In the meantime, get CS2. I know it's hard to justify the expense of Photoshop on the surface, but buy it once and upgrades are cheap from the on. But most importantly, CS2 is probably the biggest improvement from one version to another in a LONG time. It's support for RAW is fantastic, and it's far more stable and reliable than CS ever was. Plus, the photo filters and new sharpening tools are a life saver for digital work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.