Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
I have RCS enabled on my iPhone 15 Pro Max running iOS 18. I found someone that shows “text message - RCS”. I have messages set to forward to my iPad on iPadOS 18 and Mac on Sequoia. If I look at the same person on those devices it shows “text message -SMS”.

Does iOS 18 not support forwarding RCS messages to other devices?

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
It works here on both macOS and iPadOS. Maybe it takes a while to properly sync presence over to your Mac.

Nevertheless, sending messages from your Mac to a RCS enabled contact should send as RCS regardless of it showing SMS or RCS, since your Mac only sends a message payload over to your phone which then does the actual texting.

At least I was able to RCS chat with people from a Mac on macOS 14 before I upgraded to Betas on there.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
I’m still only seeing one message thread in messages that says RCS on my iPhone and the same one says SMS on my iPad. It’s not someone I want to send a message to as it’s a work contact.

I found 2 places to “test RCS”: the number in https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...ofessional-Sports-Team-to-Offer-RCS-Messaging which I get no response from and https://kitchen-sink-bot.appspot.com/ which fails to register.

As such I have no way to actually test RCS.

Is there any way to actually test RCS?

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
I’m still only seeing one message thread in messages that says RCS on my iPhone and the same one says SMS on my iPad. It’s not someone I want to send a message to as it’s a work contact.

I found 2 places to “test RCS”: the number in https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...ofessional-Sports-Team-to-Offer-RCS-Messaging which I get no response from and https://kitchen-sink-bot.appspot.com/ which fails to register.

As such I have no way to actually test RCS.

Is there any way to actually test RCS?
Kitchen sink is afaik business messaging, which your carrier has to opt into (it‘s a separate business messaging toggle in the RCS settings sub-menu).

Do none of your contacts have Android phones? I forced my co-workers and close friends to text me via RCS to test it. Nowadays I regularly text with one friend abroad and another close friends who‘s also pretty anti-Meta/WhatsApp. Other than that everyone else is WhatsApp exclusive here (bar a few I text with via iMessage, including family).

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Do none of your contacts have Android phones? I forced my co-workers and close friends to text me via RCS to test it.

Most of my family and co-workers have iPhones. I did find one co-worker who is showing as RCS, though again only on my iPhone, not my Mac or iPad. I guess I can try testing with him though I never text him, I use Teams.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Most of my family and co-workers have iPhones. I did find one co-worker who is showing as RCS, though again only on my iPhone, not my Mac or iPad. I guess I can try testing with him though I never text him, I use Teams.
I would test with you but I am an Apple stan with a pretty big investment in iMessage with my close family.

I‘d be interested in trying out group chats, but afraid of accidental MMS charges since Apple allows you to downgrade a group to MMS. Surprised that no one set up a MacRumors group chat to discuss RCS yet, but most are probably on iOS.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Hmm...I'm also not seeing RCS on my iPad.

With one user under my messaging on iPhone, I see that friend has RCS. However, when I look at my iPad, it says SMS with that friend.

How do make iPad recognize RCS?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hmm...I'm also not seeing RCS on my iPad.

With one user under my messaging on iPhone, I see that friend has RCS. However, when I look at my iPad, it says SMS with that friend.

How do make iPad recognize RCS?
If your iPad is on iPadOS 18, it should recognize RCS. Mine do.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Try clicking the new message composer and opening the chat that way. That triggers a presence check, maybe it works for iPads too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.