Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garlandbriggs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2016
Any point in holding out hope that a future version of/update to iOS will introduce multitasking functionality?

Seems absurd that the space afforded to you by Reachability isn't being put to better use ala a ReachApp (which doesn't seem to be a standalone tweak any more, or else I'd probably look into a jailbreak instead of posting this).

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Any point in holding out hope that a future version of/update to iOS will introduce multitasking functionality?

Seems absurd that the space afforded to you by Reachability isn't being put to better use ala a ReachApp (which doesn't seem to be a standalone tweak any more, or else I'd probably look into a jailbreak instead of posting this).
What "space" are you talking about?

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
Are you talking about the black square that shows up then the screen pulls down? That will likely always be empty.

Reachability is about helping you reach the top part of the screen when you cannot reach it normally. So for Apple to put something there that you cannot normally reach would be weird.

Of course they went back on the stylus idea for iPads once they found a stylus they liked so who knows.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Are you talking about the black square that shows up then the screen pulls down? That will likely always be empty.

Reachability is about helping you reach the top part of the screen when you cannot reach it normally. So for Apple to put something there that you cannot normally reach would be weird.

Of course they went back on the stylus idea for iPads once they found a stylus they liked so who knows.
Correct. Placing anything in that "space" and make it capable of user interaction would defeat the whole purpose of Reachability. I think, were Apple to do that, they would need to make it move down in order for it to be usable during one-handed use. But, then you'd have another block of space at the top of the screen.

garlandbriggs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2016
Correct. Placing anything in that "space" and make it capable of user interaction would defeat the whole purpose of Reachability. I think, were Apple to do that, they would need to make it move down in order for it to be usable during one-handed use. But, then you'd have another block of space at the top of the screen.

I figured as much re the point of Reachability. What I (think I) meant was that a tweak such as ReachApp - assuming I've properly understood what it does - appears to "repurpose" that function and make it so that double-tapping the home button allows you to introduce a useable second app into what I'm referring to as the "space."

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the response (and accept the utility Reachability is meant to provide), but given the fact that I've never personally had much use for Reachability, I went ahead and wondered whether... the manner in which the app slides down might make it possible for a future update to allow you to "run" another app simultaneously (above it).

To be honest, I held out (etc.) on owning a smartphone until about a year ago. Now that I'm all in, as it were, I'm of course realizing how spoiled I've been re being able to multitask on a, let's call it, regular computer.

Although I've come across a bunch of post-jailbreak tweaks that enable multitasking, I wanted to bring up the "issue" by way of Reachability, and a potential iOS "solution." Might not have been the most astute point of departure, in hindesignt. But for whatever reason I'm not going to jailbreak - at least not anytime soon, I don't think. (Besides, am not so sure one has been made available for the new operating system).

Apologies for rambling. Am clearly somewhat stubbornly hoping this "multitasking" thing happens (simply because I want it to?) and have no real knowledge of software and processing power and all that jazz.

Reactions: ardchoille50

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I figured as much re the point of Reachability. What I (think I) meant was that a tweak such as ReachApp - assuming I've properly understood what it does - appears to "repurpose" that function and make it so that double-tapping the home button allows you to introduce a useable second app into what I'm referring to as the "space."

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the response (and accept the utility Reachability is meant to provide), but given the fact that I've never personally had much use for Reachability, I went ahead and wondered whether... the manner in which the app slides down might make it possible for a future update to allow you to "run" another app simultaneously (above it).

To be honest, I held out (etc.) on owning a smartphone until about a year ago. Now that I'm all in, as it were, I'm of course realizing how spoiled I've been re being able to multitask on a, let's call it, regular computer.

Although I've come across a bunch of post-jailbreak tweaks that enable multitasking, I wanted to bring up the "issue" by way of Reachability, and a potential iOS "solution." Might not have been the most astute point of departure, in hindesignt. But for whatever reason I'm not going to jailbreak - at least not anytime soon, I don't think. (Besides, am not so sure one has been made available for the new operating system).

Apologies for rambling. Am clearly somewhat stubbornly hoping this "multitasking" thing happens (simply because I want it to?) and have no real knowledge of software and processing power and all that jazz.
Well, never give up on your ideas.. ideas can often lead to innovation - necessity is the mother of invention.

As far as multitasking, we must tap twice for Reachability, and also press twice for the multitasking screen on an iPhone. So, either way it's still the same number of actions.

What I'd like to see Apple change is the swipe down action. Currently this action yields the Search function, but that same function is also available on the left-most home screen - I feel it is a bit redundant to have it both ways. Why not change the swipe down action to yield the multitasking screen? Apple could go further and make the swipe down action a user-configurable setting - toggling between search and multitask.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Swipe down for reach ability would be more ergonomically comfortable and quicker (by a fraction of second for finger travel) than double tap on home button.

And this is coming from someone who uses swipe down for search all the time.

The more I think about it and imagine doing this, the more sense swipe down for reachability would make! I hate double tap compared to swipe down now! Haha

garlandbriggs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2016
... Not sure how else to say this except:

Only just realized/discovered there's a swipe down function (and yes, it seems to render the left-side-of-home redundant or vice-versa). What do you know... swipe down ... Search-bar!

Thank you, good people.

Both swipe-uses (appswitcher or Reachability) would be far less (imo) obnoxious than double taps, double clicks and the awkward (if innovative?) 3D Touch double-down-press.

To flog the old horse: there do seem to be a bunch of buggy & imperfect tweaks "out there" that let you use more than one app at the same time (my overall "goal" is to be able to take notes while a browser or document is open above/below/alongside). A humble enough goal, I'd argue. ReachApp (no longer "out there" alas) apparently used to make use of Reachability's so-called screen-estate and fill it with a second app.

It looks like I'll either have to sulk and wait for Apple to pilfer this or skulk around Reddit etc. and wonder whether someone's going to bring it back (can't really see too many other deal-breaker reasons to jailbreak frankly... which, given the the fact that I only just discovered (thanks again) swipe-down-search, shouldn't come as a surprise).

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
Not necessarily. What if I want to check on my favorite sports team's current game, or the stock market, etc., and have multiple pages of apps. It'd be far easier to have a bulletin to view by double tapping the home button than to swipe to the home page and then swipe again to notifications. On top of that, being able to stay on my current page of apps or even stay WITHIN an app would be a major convenience.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Not necessarily. What if I want to check on my favorite sports team's current game, or the stock market, etc., and have multiple pages of apps. It'd be far easier to have a bulletin to view by double tapping the home button than to swipe to the home page and then swipe again to notifications.
My post, that you quoted, was about the purpose of Reachability. Clearly, what Apple has provided and what you want are two different things. That which is easier for you may be a nuisance for others.

On top of that, being able to stay on my current page of apps or even stay WITHIN an app would be a major convenience.
Which version of iOS are you using? I'm on the latest version of iOS and I can swipe down from the top of the screen and see notifications, no need to leave an app or even the current page of apps for that.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
My post, that you quoted, was about the purpose of Reachability. Clearly, what Apple has provided and what you want are two different things. That which is easier for you may be a nuisance for others.

Which version of iOS are you using? I'm on the latest version of iOS and I can swipe down from the top of the screen and see notifications, no need to leave an app or even the current page of apps for that.
Definitely forgot about the swipe down. But my opinion still stands, there's no cost or nuisance to anybody for this feature besides programmers at Apple, as is with every fetaure that is or isn't used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.