Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
I have a flashed 2009 Mac Pro which had already been running High Sierra from an SSD without problem. I want to install on an external drive (eSATA). The drive previously was bootable on this machine and contained Mountain Lion, which I erased. It seems that no matter how I try to put High Sierra on this drive (I have tried cloning a bootable High Sierra drive and installing from Recovery partition) the drive is not bootable. Is it possible the drive just is not compatible with High Sierra for some obscure reason? Could it require a new driver? Anyone else have this problem?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I have a flashed 2009 Mac Pro which had already been running High Sierra from an SSD without problem. I want to install on an external drive (eSATA). The drive previously was bootable on this machine and contained Mountain Lion, which I erased. It seems that no matter how I try to put High Sierra on this drive (I have tried cloning a bootable High Sierra drive and installing from Recovery partition) the drive is not bootable. Is it possible the drive just is not compatible with High Sierra for some obscure reason? Could it require a new driver? Anyone else have this problem?
It is definitely possible that the particular eSATA card you're using is no longer compatible with High Sierra. I have an eSATA card that no longer works at all in High Sierra. What card do you have?

Reactions: macmesser

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
It is definitely possible that the particular eSATA card you're using is no longer compatible with High Sierra. I have an eSATA card that no longer works at all in High Sierra. What card do you have?

Thanks for reply. The card is NewerTech MAXPower PCIe 4-Port eSATA 6G RAID Controller with port multiplier support. Drive enclosure is OWC Mercury Elite Pro mini 2.5" Bus-Powered Portable USB 3.0 + eSATA 6Gb/s Drive Enclosure Kit. Drive is same brand as current HS boot drive.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thanks for reply. The card is NewerTech MAXPower PCIe 4-Port eSATA 6G RAID Controller with port multiplier support. Drive enclosure is OWC Mercury Elite Pro mini 2.5" Bus-Powered Portable USB 3.0 + eSATA 6Gb/s Drive Enclosure Kit. Drive is same brand as current HS boot drive.
I'd contact NewerTech to see if they think it's supposed to be bootable in High Sierra.

Reactions: macmesser
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.