Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikekelley

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
I just noticed that while editing photos, when I look at them in the full view mode (actual pixel size) they are horribly compressed or something to that effect. I have NEVER noticed this before tonight. If I go back to the normal view, they look fine, but as soon as I make them big they look like hell. If I roll over the images with the loupe, the part of the image in the loupe looks like it's normal, so I'm sure I pushed some random combination of buttons to do this. It's driving me absolutely insane and I cannot figure it out, so I turn to you guys here. Here's a screen shot of what's happening. As you can see, outside the loupe looks like crap, but inside looks fine. this is at iso 100, so it's not a camera problem (and like i said it cleans up completely when the loupe is over it or i'm not at the full size)

You can see the compression on the model's right cheek, in the out of focus black spot to the right, on his ear, etc.

4394259068_616c53fa46_b.jpg

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
Can you post the screenshot at 100% size please? It seems to be shrunk on the forum here.

From this old Macbook's laptop screen, it just looks like shadow noise, but it's impossible to judge on a shrunk image. Is this image unadjusted?

Can you also open in Photoshop/Preview/DPP/anything else and post a screenshot from there so we can compare the difference.

Kind regards,
Jonathan.

mikekelley

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Here's three screen shots. Hopefully this all works.

Viewing the image as full sized in aperture:

4395574146_bbaae311d7_o.png

viewing the image as full sized in photoshop:

4395577270_9a682f6061_o.png

Viewing the original aperture version next to the "edited" photoshop version in aperture (note that i did no editing to this in photoshop, just opened it, aperture created a new edited version, and then i closed out of photoshop)

4395580058_d0492e5b4f_o.png

So for some reason there is this hideous shadow noise while DISPLAYING images in aperture, but when I open them in photoshop or any other application, the noise disappears. This is driving me nuts!

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
Yuck, I see what you mean.

Are you shooting RAW or JPEG?

Any chance you could attach an original and I'll see if my Aperture does the same as your Aperture?

Very strange that it's fine through the loupe at 100%

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I've always gotten these kinds of grungy results in Aperture, which is why I don't use it for editing anymore. It's just my organizing and sorting software these days. I do all editing in Photoshop. I've not tried Aperture 3 yet, but version 2 has exactly this problem. It's also very bad at interpolating images.

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
I've always gotten these kinds of grungy results in Aperture, which is why I don't use it for editing anymore. It's just my organizing and sorting software these days. I do all editing in Photoshop. I've not tried Aperture 3 yet, but version 2 has exactly this problem. It's also very bad at interpolating images.

While I have never used Aperture I can't believe a software that's used by many professional photographers can be that bad.

I'd in your case check what you could be doing wrong. Would save you to throw away an investment.

I'd suggest that it's not Aperture that's at fault. Maybe you are shooting Jpegs, and this at a low quality setting.

I recommend to shoot RAW. That's the best quality you can get, and your problems will go away.

What camera are you shooting with? If it's a DSLR, check your manual for JPEG quality settings and on how to shoot RAW.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
While I have never used Aperture I can't believe a software that's used by many professional photographers can be that bad.

I'd in your case check what you could be doing wrong. Would save you to throw away an investment.

I'd suggest that it's not Aperture that's at fault. Maybe you are shooting Jpegs, and this at a low quality setting.

I recommend to shoot RAW. That's the best quality you can get, and your problems will go away.

What camera are you shooting with? If it's a DSLR, check your manual for JPEG quality settings and on how to shoot RAW.
It's pretty clear that it's not a camera problem because the noise isn't actually present in the image, only when Aperature loads the file and displays it.

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
mikekelley: any chance of uploading an original RAW (or JPEG, if that's what you shoot in) so we can see if our versions of Aperture do the same as yours?

mikekelley

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Sorry for the delay in getting back.

I have figured out what was causing the problem. First things first, I've been shooting in RAW for as long as I can remember and it has nothing to do with RAW or JPEG. I've been running a business that uses Huey monitor calibrators. The custom Huey profile for my computer is not compatible with aperture for some reason (something about the gamma being 2.2, I don't really know the specifics, but myself and a forum member on another forum came to this conclusion) and for some reason the ONLY time that it happens is in Aperture at the full-view size, so this is strictly an aperture error or bug or something. It looks fine in full screen, in looks fine in the loupe at full size, and it looks fine in the normal view. It also looks fine in photoshop and preview, as well as all of my other imaging applications (DPP etc). The ONLY time there is a problem is in the unedited master in Aperture at the full-resolution size (after pressing Z to go huge, if you are using the default keyboard shortcuts)

If I switch my profile back to a default apple profile, the problem disappears, however none of these are really correctly calibrated for the work I do so they won't work. I'm willing to put up with the bug because as soon as I make an edit to a photo in aperture, in the adjusted version, the problem goes away and in full-view the photo looks fine again.

Hopefully this will be able to help someone else. It's a minor nuisance, but now that I know what is causing it it bugs me quite a bit less. Somewhat unfortunate that there isn't a fix for this, considering Huey is pretty big in the graphics and photo post processing and calibrating market.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Regarding gamma, I think what happens is that Photoshop ignores the system settings regarding the gamma (Macs traditionally have used a lower gamma than Windows pcs, I think 1.8 vs. 2.2) while Photoshop simply overrides any specific settings and uses 2.2 no matter what. 10.6 has switched to a default gamma of 2.2.

I think this may be responsible for what you're seeing. If that is true, then it's not that the color profile isn't `incompatible' with Aperture, it's that Photoshop uses different settings altogether.

mikekelley

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
But I don't understand why it would look normal in every other view except full view.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.