Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghking

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
hello
is there any way to hook my camera up to the mac and take photos so that is saves them directly to the hard drive instantaneously?

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Yep, it is called tethering. (Though I'm not sure if you can do it on a P&S. You might be able to make an Automator action to do it) What kind of camera do you have?

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
I'm not sure if this'll work but here are the instructions for one way to do it. (These instructions are for a Nikon D80 but try it anyway)

First set up your D80. You will need to change the USB interface from M to PTP (Picture transfer protocol). Its is in the menu settings. Then plug your D80 to the USB port on your Mac.

Next, open the Automator application, its the little robot icon in your application folder. Select "Image Capture" from the list on the left then drag "Take Picture" from the second column to the third column.

Dont bother with the settings, as you are only going to do this once per session.

Click the play button, the D80 should snap a picture and the file will be stored in whatever folder you specified. Or the Picture folder if you did not specify anything.

Here is the interesting thing, after pressing play in Automator, the interface between your camera and your Mac are now open. If you click on the shutter yourself, the picture you take will be imported into the Pictures folder.

ghking

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
alright that sounds logical
the only problem is that i dont think i can set my camera to ptp!

eddx

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
setting your camera to ptp is something that is more common on DSLRs rather than the camera you have unfortunately. Try the Kodak website or looking through the manual, if you can set up your camera in this way, then the Mac will do the rest of the work as described in the post above.

iJordo

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2007
well canon

software form this year will install an app called CameraWindow...look up the app online an try to download it...it works sweet!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
hello
is there any way to hook my camera up to the mac and take photos so that is saves them directly to the hard drive instantaneously?

The new version of Image Capture that ships with Leopard has this feature. There is a "take a picture" button. When you click it a connected camera will snap an image and then Image capture will download the image from the camera.

Whoever made you camera (Nikon, Canon, ...) may offer software to do this and it may work better but you may already have Leopard's Image Capture

Aperture 2.0 has this same feature now too.

ghking

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
iJordo, could you send me CameraWindow? i cant find a download.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.