Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidf18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
The 512 GB version of the 2016 15" TB units benchmarks much faster than the 256 GB version, but are there database benchmarks that show a practical difference that anyone knows about?

Also, is there much of a practical difference for graphics between the 450 and the 460? Has anyone seen benchmarks for real-world situations?

TIA

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
The disk benchmarks do not surprise me. SSDs go faster as they get larger because they can run more parallel streams of data in and out of the module. Whether it matters in real-life is up for debate and means less the more you put between of your app's code and the storage.

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
I'd really like to see some real world game benchmarks on the 450, 455 and the 460.

Also, it would be really interesting seeing if the 460 generates more heat than the 450, maybe even throttles due to heat?
-and fan noise, it would be great seeing if the 460 results in more fan noise.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
I'd also be interested in this from a video editing standpoint. Heck, even BruceX tests on the three would be telling to me. Been digging but haven't seen much out yet.

Last edited:

davidf18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
The disk benchmarks do not surprise me. SSDs go faster as they get larger because they can run more parallel streams of data in and out of the module. Whether it matters in real-life is up for debate and means less the more you put between of your app's code and the storage.

Yes, the 512 GB SSD is substantially faster, especially on reads than the 256 GB SSD. That's why I was asking for real-world database benchmarks that would really be helpful. Quoting the speeds themselves is not so very helpful.

The same is true with the AMD GPUs. What is the substantial difference, especially if I don't play games on it. Does the 4 GB of video memory of the 460 make a difference? If so, in what situations?

It really bothers me that people are paid to make reviews, *this is a Pro model* so one would think that a professional reviewer would do real-world benchmarks that would be used by professionals.

Reactions: eulslix

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
It really bothers me that people are paid to make reviews, *this is a Pro model* so one would think that a professional reviewer would do real-world benchmarks that would be used by professionals.

This bugs me as well. Even Notebookcheck failed me on this one, their review is very lackluster.

keviig

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Speaking of GPU's. Does anyone know how the 450 stacks up against the Iris 530 and 550 in games?

keviig

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
You'll be looking at a huge increase. dGPUs have dedicated RAM, and the integrated ones have limited or none.

Check on http://gpuboss.com/compare-gpus
Thanks, i forgot about the whole dedicated VRAM issue with iGPU's. Bandwidth will be a lot better with the Radeon 450.

After having gotten 2 13" TB MBP's now (both came dented or heavily scratched out of the box, so they were returned) i'm considering giving the 15" a go. The Mac will spend 95% of the time at my desk connected to a monitor, so size and weight is no issue for me. The bigger screen is tempting as it will be more usable alongside my LG Ultrafine 4k 21.5".

Reactions: tbobmccoy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.